Global network question

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
I came across this article on Yahoo about the pending release of the iPhone on Verizon.

As everyone is aware im sure one of AT&T's biggest claims is that you can use the internet and talk on the phone at the same time, while those of us with Verizon cant. The above mentioned article explains why this is so, in short its because of Verizon using a CDMA network as opposed to AT&T's GSM network.

Now i know the global phone searches for a GSM signal if no CDMA signal is available...correct? Does that mean there is a way to set up the Droid 2 Global to be able to use the internet and talk on the phone at the same time?

I searched...or tried to rather...for the answer but it either isnt out there or i couldnt find it

B

leobg

Reaction score
On Verizon network this is not possible just yet (unless you are using VOIP over data connection.

However D2G works just fine using both data and voice when connected to a network that uses UMTS (wcdma/hspa) technology which most of the world uses nowadays.

FYI GSM (2G) cannot do simultaneous data and voice just like Verizon's CDMA.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

silver6054

Reaction score
On Verizon network this is not possible just yet (unless you are using VOIP over data connection.

However D2G works just fine using both data and voice when connected to a network that uses UMTS (wcdma/hspa) technology which most of the world uses nowadays.

FYI GSM (2G) cannot do simultaneous data and voice just like Verizon's CDMA.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
But to maybe finish the OP's thoughts: this won't work in the US. The D2G doesn't work with US GSM carriers (you need the DroidBandUnlock hack to make it work with AT&T and T-Mobile). And of course, even if you could, you would be getting data/voice on AT&T/T-Mobile (which you can already do) rather than Verizon.

So, there isn't a clever way of getting GSM voice and CDMA data while in the US, and elsewhere you can do the whole thing on GSM

OP
BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
that does answer my question.

thats the ONLY thing i miss about AT&T...other than that im happy with Verizon

B

Plainzwalker

Reaction score
I second that. I seriously miss being able to talk and use data, it makes life a lot easier, especially when tethering I can still hold a conversation and look up information at the same time.

OP
BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
being able to make a call and not drop it is also important. something at&t has forgotten

B