Gingerbread gmail issues

ardt64

Reaction score
I hope I am posting this to the correct forum. My Droid X is not rooted but my son did install the GB push version (I hope I am using the right terms). Since then my gmail will not update emails consistantly. It will not update emails 4 out of 5 times when I hit refresh and the rare times that it does it takes about 10 minutes to upload new emails.
I tried to uninstall gmail with the intention of reinstalling, but that is not an option.
Any information will be appreciated.
Lisa

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Trying clearing your G-mail cache. That may or may not help. Click on menu softkey, click on settings, click on applications, click on manage applications, click on all tabs, find gmail and click on that, click on clear cache. You can reboot your phone or not before trying gmail again. I always do after clearing cache on an app. Then open up gmail and see if the problems were fixed.

Sent from a different galaxy in space...

OP
A

ardt64

Reaction score
I am using a Droid X.
I was hoping your suggestion would work, I cleared the cache and rebooted the phone. It is still not refreshing well at least in the past 10 minutes since I did this.
The other weird thing that I am noticing with gingerbread (please let me know if there is a more appropriate forum to post this), is that the circle arrows, that only showed up in the past when I hit refresh, is always in the menu bar. I have looked and looked to see if there is a setting that is causing this and I cannot. It is sort of ironic that the refresh seems to always be on but I cannot refresh my gmail. I have no problems with facebook or other apps.
Once again any other suggestions?
Thanks

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Since you're not rooted, I can't imagine what would be making the G-mail act like that. It just may be something on Google's end that is causing issues for it. Either a uninstall and reinstall or clear cache has always fixed stuff like this. When did this start happening? What did it say when you tried uninstalling it? I would've uninstalled it too and re-download it from the market.

OP
A

ardt64

Reaction score
When I go to the app control menu and pull up gmail there is no uninstall option. I do get this with any of the apps that I have downloaded but gmail seems to be different since it came with the phone.

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Well, I only know of 3 ways to uninstall an app completely but all 3 methods require being rooted in order to get rid of it and install a fresh copy. It also may be the new Gingerbread update causing it to act weird. I would imagine installing a fresh copy would probably solve the issue but I'm not entirely sure on how to uninstall something that won't give you that option unless you root your phone.

OP
A

ardt64

Reaction score
Well, thanks for trying anyway, I will keep looking. BTW I had my husband check his droid X yesterday and he found out he is also having the same problem since switching to GB.

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
It seems that a couple other people are seeing the same problems as you and your husband too. It narrows the culprit down to having something to do with the GB update. I would check frequently on any new updates for the G-mail by Google that may have a fix for it. Wish I could help some more. The GB update is really new, including the leaked GB so there are a lot of bugs and tweakings to sort out.

r0tt3n

Reaction score
My wife and I both have droid x's, mine is rooted gb, hers is non-rooted factory froyo. I have had the stuck sync icon for a while, she obviously doesn't. She gets legitimate push notifications of e-mail, I do not. I'll have a look at that sync icon fix, and also see if I can find a way to uninstall gmail, since I don't have the explicit options, but I _am_ rooted, so I should be able to find a way.

thx
:icon_ banana:

r0tt3n

Reaction score
sure enough - clearing all data in privacy, then setting up my phone fresh - that worked. I definitely hadn't done that since before i r00ted and upgraded to GB. No more stuck icon, no more crazy delay with gmail and google voice notifications. Hurray! Thx!!