Gmail problem

OP
J

jkm2282

Reaction score
Same issue. Spoke with verizon they are clueless. They tried to passed me along to motorola who is useless. I don't see that little icon stating that i am having a sync issue, actually it says it just synced, but there are 3 emails in my gmail inbox and non on my Droid X.

This is really annoying. Anyone have any ideas?

Is there an issue with my phone?

They wanted me to do a factory reset. Should I do it?

EDIT: Motorola advised that it is a gmail issue, and they should be working on it and resolving it within 2 hours. I am supposed to call them back if it doesn't work within 2 hours.
Thanks for the info mate. Please keep us posted if you speak to them again.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Same issue. Spoke with verizon they are clueless. They tried to passed me along to motorola who is useless. I don't see that little icon stating that i am having a sync issue, actually it says it just synced, but there are 3 emails in my gmail inbox and non on my Droid X.

I just received the email on my phone telling me that this thread had been replied to, so I think mine is all good again.

"Spoke with verizon they are clueless." <<----- well that is a true statement no matter what you asked them.

Is the sync box is checked? Have you read through all the replies on this issue in the thread I posted above? Just want to make sure you have done everything you can before you do a factory reset.

Have you tried powering down or a live battery pull?

Are you rooted? If so, it is easier to accept a factory reset b/c you can restore all your apps and such. The market should restore most/all of your apps if you are not rooted, and if you are using LauncherPro you can backup all your home screens. I wouldn't do the factory reset just yet.

OP
J

jkm2282

Reaction score

I just received the email on my phone telling me that this thread had been replied to, so I think mine is all good again.

"Spoke with verizon they are clueless." <<----- well that is a true statement no matter what you asked them.

Is the sync box is checked? Have you read through all the replies on this issue in the thread I posted above? Just want to make sure you have done everything you can before you do a factory reset.

Are you rooted? If so, it is easier to accept a factory reset b/c you can restore all your apps and such. The market should restore most/all of your apps if you are not rooted, and if you are using LauncherPro you can backup all your home screens. I wouldn't do the factory reset just yet.
Did you do anything specific or did it started working on its own? I have tried everything you listed but I still can't make it work. :|

cjriddle22

Reaction score

Did you do anything specific or did it started working on its own? I have tried everything you listed but I still can't make it work. :|

No I did nothing specific, it just started syncing again. I think I might have lost 3G for a minute and that is why it was giving me that error. I can not seem to reproduce it.

magikmarkur

Reaction score

Yea, I made sure my data push is on as well as my sync gmail check-box was checked. I really do not want to do a factory reset. :angry:

I really don't think it is my hardware or anything local.

I'm on the phone with Motorola again, they are saying to try to contact google.

Useless!

DroidGurl

Reaction score
I have a Droid 1 and am experiencing the exact same thing as of today. When I got up this morning I had quite a few emails plus also failed auto update notifications for Google Goggles and Maps which I did manually. Since then...nothing I seem to do will get my Gmail account to sync. Have cleared data and cache and unchecked/rechecked sync, reboot, battery pull....am just a few steps away from factory reset.

I have been able to test the phone by sending something from a PC POP account to Gmail, I can see it going to my Gmail on the PC but no notification ever shows up on the phone.

I did actually locate a page on Google's site where I could say their Gmail app "troubleshooting" did not help my issue and was able to report the details. I am pretty much at a loss...I see an option to uninstall Gmail application updates - does this remove JUST the updates or the entire application? It is the email account associated with my phone/Market etc. and says I cannot uninstall the app unless I do a full factory reset.

Looking forward to a solution for us all...

OP
J

jkm2282

Reaction score
I have a Droid 1 and am experiencing the exact same thing as of today. When I got up this morning I had quite a few emails plus also failed auto update notifications for Google Goggles and Maps which I did manually. Since then...nothing I seem to do will get my Gmail account to sync. Have cleared data and cache and unchecked/rechecked sync, reboot, battery pull....am just a few steps away from factory reset.
That's pretty much everything I've done. Please let me know if you figure out something as I am lost here. :s

DroidGurl

Reaction score
OK I called Verizon and got the scoop.

1. Verizon is aware of the issue and Google is working on it.
2. For now we have to refresh the gmail app manually to get our emails.
3. It is my understanding that the fix will be in a gmail app update.

So, what I gather from this is no amount of fiddling around with our settings is going to fix the issue. I think I had gmail app set for auto updates (not sure) but after this happened I switched every app to manual update only. From now on if an issue comes up I will have some idea where it came from. (If you read the comments in the Market under gmail you will see we are clearly not the only ones with this issue.)

I have thought about adding my primary gmail account under the regular email setup temporarily - I have 3 other gmail accounts that are syncing just fine with that app.

So I guess just be on the lookout for that gmail app update!

OP
J

jkm2282

Reaction score
OK I called Verizon and got the scoop.

1. Verizon is aware of the issue and Google is working on it.
2. For now we have to refresh the gmail app manually to get our emails.
3. It is my understanding that the fix will be in a gmail app update.

So, what I gather from this is no amount of fiddling around with our settings is going to fix the issue. I think I had gmail app set for auto updates (not sure) but after this happened I switched every app to manual update only. From now on if an issue comes up I will have some idea where it came from. (If you read the comments in the Market under gmail you will see we are clearly not the only ones with this issue.)

I have thought about adding my primary gmail account under the regular email setup temporarily - I have 3 other gmail accounts that are syncing just fine with that app.

So I guess just be on the lookout for that gmail app update!
Thanks! So, I guess we just have to wait and watch, eh?

I also set up my gmail account under the regular email thing. Do you know how to combine similar conversations in it like what typically gmail does. Right now, my inbox is full of emails as it shows each conversation as a different message. Any idea how to sort that out?

DroidGurl

Reaction score
I definitely don't like the email app as much as gmail because it's more jumbled. I don't know how to modify that.

Even though I have that info from Verizon I'm still trying stuff out. :) I just uninstalled all gmail updates back to factory settings (didn't fix it), now I'm thinking about doing the same with recently updated apps. :) I know Goggles and Maps updated this morning but I'm not sure if anything else did. Is there a way to see a list of your app updates?

OP
J

jkm2282

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't like it as well. It's all jumbled. If they could somehow combine all the conversations, it would be perfect. We won't need the gmail app then, lol.

magikmarkur

Reaction score
This is horrible. I use my phone for work. Is there an eta for how long we have to wait?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

musicman

Reaction score
This may not be what you guys want to do but try using the k9
App to get your emails from that account and see if it works. I use k9 anyway due to the customizing options. Give it a try, its free.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App