Gingerbread 6-1-2011

timrock

Reaction score
just got the download forced on me (5 min to DL) and it's going to try to force the install in an hour; not happy about this but hopefully it will fail.
Has anyone who's had the install fail on them had any other trouble or does your phone just stay the way it was?

i downloaded but didnt install. it asks me every hour if i want to install it or install later. i keep choosing "later". not sure i want it yet. I tether to my xoom and dont want to lose that.

Phiniac

Reaction score
i received OTA update this morning at 12:30 am. Its really nice and my phone is much faster. Does anyone know how to change the Launcher from say like Launcher Pro to the stock Launcher. I really want to use the new Gingerbread launcher and its features but I dont know how to select it without uninstalling Launcher Pro so it will default to the new Launcher.

The new Launcher that comes with Gingerbread is impressive to me!

Also I see a new feature in the menu settings called "Profile". Does anyone know what thats all about?

Use a program called homeswitcher, you can find it on the marketplace

Phiniac

Reaction score
My contacts icon is no longer functional. Using Launcher Pro. Only way to them now is through the phone icon. Was this something gb removed?

long press on your contact icon, choose Change shortcut.
Select Applications
scroll down and select contacts.

Phiniac

Reaction score
any changes in the Market? If i do a hard reset and install GB, will all my apps automatically come back, or can i choose which ones to reinstall?

no changes to the market.
if you hard reset, you apps won't come back automatically. You'll have to manually add each one back via the market.

Phiniac

Reaction score
I'm using Z4 Root, and unrooted....it's still downloading though. Is yours completely downloaded and it just won't install? Or you can't initiate the download?

I used Z4root as well, but didnt' bother unrooting. Just did the update and all went well. Lost root of course.

jbhuskers

Reaction score
I'm using Z4 Root, and unrooted....it's still downloading though. Is yours completely downloaded and it just won't install? Or you can't initiate the download?

I used Z4root as well, but didnt' bother unrooting. Just did the update and all went well. Lost root of course.

Hmmmm....I wonder if it has to do with my removal of apps like Madden and City ID that I didn't want.

jbhuskers

Reaction score
As it is running the install animation I get this triangle with an exclamation point in the middle of it and then it boots back into the way my phone was prior.

Phiniac

Reaction score

Hmmmm....I wonder if it has to do with my removal of apps like Madden and City ID that I didn't want.

absolutely, removing apps will prevent the install from working. You need to get them all back, then do the update.

jbhuskers

Reaction score

absolutely, removing apps will prevent the install from working. You need to get them all back, then do the update.

Can I just get them from the Marketplace? I tried that link from ChadHaney, but the version I'm on he doesn't have the files for.

jbhuskers

Reaction score
Should I wipe my phone? Will that put it at factory reset? I have backups from Titanium Backup.

Orzel

Reaction score
everytime I go in to get it I keep getting the "check for update was not available at this time. Try again later."

Is there anything I can do, or do I have to just keep trying? My phone is completely stock, never rooted

Had exactly the same issue, finally called VZ tech support, very helpful had me power down phone, they did some kind of reset, powered back up, went to Check Update, and dowload strated right up. Took a long time, close to 1/2 hour, byt install successful. Quite an improvement!

Kris78424

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. I un-rooted my phone and am still getting a failure upon install. I had previously removed some stock apps, but don't remember all of them, to reinstall. Is there a list somewhere of the stock apps by version of Android device? Or some other work-around?

jbhuskers

Reaction score
Before I do this, will a factory reset put those apps I deleted back on my phone?

I have My Backup Pro working right now backing up everything, so I just wanted to know if that will work before I do it.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Before I do this, will a factory reset put those apps I deleted back on my phone?

I have My Backup Pro working right now backing up everything, so I just wanted to know if that will work before I do it.

No, I just responded to your other thread. Try not to cross post. It is frowned upon from the mods.