Gallery Shows weird folders?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Any idea why my gallery shows all these weird folders? Just happened recently, it used to just show the folders with downloaded pics and pics from my camera now it shows folders that say "RootExplorer...6701" and "RootExplorer...6501" etc. The images in the folder just look like system images, like small solid colors, some icons etc. Is there a way to decide what shows in the gallery as I don't want all these folders to show?

dclutter1

Reaction score
You can stop Gallery from showing images in a directory by creating a file called ".nomedia" in that directory.

The same thing works for album art in your music directory but it may also prevent some music players from finding your music. In this case, make sure the image name is "albumart.jpg" and gallery will not show it.

That doesn't answer your question as to WHY gallery does this but hopefully it'll help you sort it out.

techRob

Reaction score
::EDIT::
I erased my original post because I figured out what I did wrong :)

1) I didn't even think about using notepad and "save as" an empty file to .nomedia in the root of my videos folder (with the file type set to "all files" in notepad)

2) Reboot the dang phone! lol I just don't like rebooting the phone :biggrin:

either way, my videos folder (that contains sub-folders; music videos, movies, tv-shows, etc..) are now hidden from Gallery view :D

Last edited:

dclutter1

Reaction score
Hmm. That worked for me with a folder of pics that I don't want in gallery except I copy/pasted the nomedia folder from the beautiful widgets dir.

iamjoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the post on this. I was going crazy seeing all these random folders. Now my ICS gallery on my roted bionic is clean.