Galaxy Watch 6 44mm LTE First Thoughts

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've only had the watch a day but I've gotten my audio media side loaded , unofficial apps side loaded , software updated , and have things just about like I want them .

So far I can say it is snappier quite a bit without turning off transitions in developer options . The display is brighter but wherever the sensor for auto bright is located it's WAY over sensitive . It fluctuates annoyingly when light conditions are changing . Where the GW4 was too slow to change this one is too fast . I'll get used to it and it's not a bad problem to have .
Signal strength seems better over LTE at the house ,a great thing , so I could play on the internet , make a phone call and other stuff without the watch overheating . The bug is still there but it's only affecting craptacular signal strength since the AW4 update .

The Play Store is still a mess on Wear and I believe that's across all Wear devices . I had to use my phone to figure out what apps I already had and even that was a pain . I ended up starting the GW4 back up and opening the app drawer to figure things out . There's 1 app , a color flashlight , that I never did find but I did find another one AND it came with Tiles ability .

I didn't really expect anything new since my old watch already had AW 4 with One UI 5 but the March security patch update added a few settings tweaks not there before . Nothing major unless you've got epilepsy . They added a way to stop all things that could trigger a seizure so you no longer have to do it in developer options (animations and transitions ) . It can only be done on the watch itself . I added some screen shots of how to get to them .

The new improved method of removing and installing oem bands is typical Samsung "what are they thinking here " as unless you've got bionic thumbs with steel thumb nails it's a HUGE pain . The quick release pins most band makers are going to are so much easier .

Battery life is supposed to be better but to be honest I was ok with my previous . Be it 60% or 30% when I awake it goes on the charger when I get up in the morning and gets about 45 minutes of charge . This makes it last at least throughout the 24 hours before I charge it again .
3-5 days of battery life I was used to with Tizen based watches are no more and I've learned to work around it . I carry a charger in my lunch pack but I've yet to need to use it . Time will tell on this one as well . The stronger radios and brighter display along with always on display that keeps the cpu running in the background are bound to make a hit but it's a larger battery and the new chipset is supposed to be more efficient so we'll see .

If you've got a Galaxy Watch 5 , 4 , or older this is a worthy , but not necessary , update . The display is gorgeous but the older models are nothing to sneeze at either . My Active 2 has a super amoled screen as well . Not a gazillion pixels per inch but gorgeous nonetheless .
The faster processor and more RAM are notable for my uses as my watch is more pda than phone butler but if you're not a heavy user the upgrade won't really make a difference . The GW7 is only a few months away anyway . The bigger display is deceptive in that it's only 2mm larger but I could swear it's closer to 6mm larger . If you're old , like me , the bigger display alone will make the difference .
Screenshot_20240328_203148_accessibility.jpg
Screenshot_20240328_203154_accessibility.jpg
Screenshot_20240328_203200_settings.jpg

Darth Mode 10+

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Excellent my friend and good opening write up ..one day I will come over to the Android watch side

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Excellent my friend and good opening write up ..one day I will come over to the Android watch side
It's funny Samsung started the whole smartwatch WITH untethered capability with their Gear S1 but Apple took that and improved it by leaps and bounds . Samsung started the whole days of battery life and great performance on a tiny processor with no RAM or memory on smartwatches with Tizen but Apple refined that into something greater with their latest release . Granted I ain't paying nearly a grand for a smartwatch , but I also said I'd never pay the $300 I paid for my Gear S1 (plus $20 a month for phone add on ) . If Samsung had an Apple watch app I'd have considered that over the watch I got . One of my daughter's has an Apple watch and it ain't half bad to use . It's SOOOO much better than the clunky version 1 that got about 2 hours of battery life I messed with back in 2014

Darth Mode 10+

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
It's funny Samsung started the whole smartwatch WITH untethered capability with their Gear S1 but Apple took that and improved it by leaps and bounds . Samsung started the whole days of battery life and great performance on a tiny processor with no RAM or memory on smartwatches with Tizen but Apple refined that into something greater with their latest release . Granted I ain't paying nearly a grand for a smartwatch , but I also said I'd never pay the $300 I paid for my Gear S1 (plus $20 a month for phone add on ) . If Samsung had an Apple watch app I'd have considered that over the watch I got . One of my daughter's has an Apple watch and it ain't half bad to use . It's SOOOO much better than the clunky version 1 that got about 2 hours of battery life I messed with back in 2014

Darth Mode 10+

Yeah man it's hard for me to get away from my AWU ...you're on all the stuff Samsung started and on that journey with their releases

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I took mine off the charger at 5am yesterday morning and you know how much we play with new devices plus the normal activities I use mine for daily .
I honestly believe if I turn LTE and aod off I'll be able to get 2 days easily on this thing . YouTube over LTE has been my biggest battery user so far . I'm almost totally convinced when T-Mobile set up my watch line before they did something wrong as my signal strength is MUCH greater ( 4 bars vs 0) and when it went through it downloaded a very small T-Mobile app for customer service needs that didn't download with my old watch . Plus they set the GW4 as an Apple watch before and when it didn't work right they did something that at least got my bill straight but even when my phone had 5 bars my watch had 1 .
Screenshot_20240330_075954_batterysavingsettings.jpg
Screenshot_20240330-080558_Galaxy Watch6 Manager.jpg

Darth Mode 10+

Last edited:
OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
At 32 hours the watch was down to getting a message asking if I wanted to turn on Power Saver so I put it on the charger
Screenshot_20240330_133951.jpg

Darth Mode 10+

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I had to put it on the charger when I got up this morning . 71 hours . That's getting up there with my old Tizen based watches .
View attachment 90393

Darth Mode 10+
Wow, that's impressive! I have the GW6 44, non-LTE and most I get is 48 hours. Settings: HR every 10, touch to wake, AOD off, nfc on, location on (I'm about to turn that off bc I thought it was off), auto detect workout off, Wi-Fi off.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's impressive! I have the GW6 44, non-LTE and most I get is 48 hours. Settings: HR every 10, touch to wake, AOD off, nfc on, location on (I'm about to turn that off bc I thought it was off), auto detect workout off, Wi-Fi off.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
I turned touch to wake off after a couple days . NFC drains a bit just like the GPS . I have LTE set to auto so that when I leave Bluetooth I still get notifications and calls . I'm away from my phone several times a day for as little as 10 minutes , as much as an hour .
I also turned off sleep coach after the 1st weekend with it .
Now that I know what it'll do I still put it on the charger when I get up in the morning but don't worry about it being full . I also don't charge it Saturday or Sunday as I don't need to .

Darth Mode 10+

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like Google Play updating more than 1 app a day turns the app into a battery hog .
I miss the old days of Watch Dog type apps for Android where you could set alerts for apps going rogue .
2 days still ain't bad but this one I haven't used my GPS since I last charged it .
Screenshot_20240427-043203_Galaxy Watch6 Manager.jpg

Darth Mode 10+