Galaxy Tab Firmeware Shows Locked Bootloader

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
The first company to offer a phone without a locked bootloader or with root already included will have record sales.

Sent from Tyler Perry's Row 11

Not hardly. People that root their phones only make up a small percentage of actual users. The vast majority of users couldn't care less as long as the phone 'works.' This site is one of the larger ones and probably only about 1/2 of the users are rooted, combined with the other 'big' android site's you well less than 500K 'rooted' users and Android is claiming sales of what 200K a day. That's hardly a market in and of itself for the developers to be concerned with.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess you guys are right. Verizon or AT&T does need a nexus style phone though. I wish more people knew how well things performed when rooted. I think people are afraid to take the risk. But on that token if the provider unlocked/rooted the phone for a customer, there would be no risk. They could use the unlocked feature as a marketing campaign showing how well the rooted/unlocked phone performed (ie. speed, customization. etc as marketing points). They could even charge a service fee to unlock phones.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I guess you guys are right. Verizon or AT&T does need a nexus style phone though. I wish more people knew how well things performed when rooted. I think people are afraid to take the risk. But on that token if the provider unlocked/rooted the phone for a customer, there would be no risk. They could use the unlocked feature as a marketing campaign showing how well the rooted/unlocked phone performed (ie. speed, customization. etc as marketing points). They could even charge a service fee to unlock phones.

My feeling is that it's the carriers - Verizon, AT&T and Sprint, who are standing in the way of something like that happening, for reasons that are not entirely clear. Some of the others may feel differently, that's just my two cents worth. :)

-Mike

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
My feeling is that it's the carriers - Verizon, AT&T and Sprint, who are standing in the way of something like that happening, for reasons that are not entirely clear.

What reason would the carriers have to allow an open bootloader?
How does it benefit them?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
My feeling is that it's the carriers - Verizon, AT&T and Sprint, who are standing in the way of something like that happening, for reasons that are not entirely clear.

Carriers could charge their customers a premium to unlock the bootloader for them.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

Carriers could charge their customers a premium to unlock the bootloader for them.

Yeah, that I agree with. But I also have an increasingly strong feeling that they don't want to allow that to happen. Again, I'm not sure WHY - unless it's because of our nice friends at Motorola, and their desire to wipe out rooted phones. ::shaking my head:: That company (Motorola) is just plain EVIL.

-Mike

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Yeah, that I agree with. But I also have an increasingly strong feeling that they don't want to allow that to happen. Again, I'm not sure WHY - unless it's because of our nice friends at Motorola, and their desire to wipe out rooted phones. ::shaking my head:: That company (Motorola) is just plain EVIL.

-Mike

You consider them evil because of a locked bootloader?

If they have nothing to gain ($$wise) there is no reason for them to unlock anything. Even with the locked bootloader they are selling tons of devices.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

-Mike

If they have nothing to gain ($$wise) there is no reason for them to unlock anything. Even with the locked bootloader they are selling tons of devices.

No, I consider them evil because of two things: Not the locked bootloader, but rather the *booby trap" eFuse, that serves no purpose other than nasty vindictiveness on Motorola's part, that along with their lovely OTA updates which wreck havoc on rooted phones, and generally (If they're allowed to install, which CWR and SPR thankfully prevent) will un-root the phone. Those tactics, which are not passive "What's in it for us?" actions, but rather aggressive, malicious activities (bordering on criminal IMO) make Motorola truly an Evil Empire.

-Mike

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
No, I consider them evil because of two things: Not the locked bootloader, but rather the *booby trap" eFuse, that serves no purpose other than nasty vindictiveness on Motorola's part, that along with their lovely OTA updates which wreck havoc on rooted phones, and generally (If they're allowed to install, which CWR and SPR thankfully prevent) will un-root the phone. Those tactics, which are not passive "What's in it for us?" actions, but rather aggressive, malicious activities (bordering on criminal IMO) make Motorola truly an Evil Empire.

-Mike

But everything you said there only affects rooted users, a small percentage of their total sales.

I'm not against rooted devices, I've had my fair share. I'm just trying to understand the logic behind the argument that the devices should be just left open.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

-Mike[/QUOTE]

The eFuse does have a purpose that was spoken of yesterday (securing the device, again BlackBerries have done similar things for years). As for your other reason... seriously?? THEY are 'evil' because an OTA update they put out for normal users did something to your phone the YOU rooted and YOU changed... seriously... for starters had you set things up correctly the OTA update wouldn't have been pushed to your phone. I love how you think YOUR modding of the phone puts a some responsibility for ANYTHING on Moto. And you think this knowing full will prior that you were violating a clearly writing EUA. Can you even think what would happen if a carrier offered to unlock the phone for people... Don't care how well they wrote out the waivers this sort of attitude would be magnified and hurt the carriers.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

-Mike

But everything you said there only affects rooted users, a small percentage of their total sales.

I'm not against rooted devices, I've had my fair share. I'm just trying to understand the logic behind the argument that the devices should be just left open.

As I said, the eFuse is an aggressive, nasty and *malicious* effort to screw with someone's rooted phone. It is not a passive "Oh, there's no reason for us to make an effort, we're not making any money off this." case, but rather a conscience and aggressive act that borders on terrorism. Additionally, their OTA updates all contain malware that attacks the rooting process that has already successfully been completed by the phone's owner. Why not (if you're Motorola) just accept the fact that a certain percentage of the users have rooted their phones and just move on? No, Motorola takes the position that they are going to put a stop to the rooted phones, and distributes OTA updates containing in essence malware and trojans. This, as I've said before, borders on criminal activity, certainly conspiracy, and generally nasty, EVIL activity.

I personally want nothing further to do with Motorola, and as long as CWR and SPR block their malicious updates, I'll take my upgrades in the form of custom roms from people I can trust, here on the forum, and over on XDA.

-Mike

Darkseider

Reaction score
Make your life easy. Get a Viewsonic GTab and run TnT Lite or VEGAn on it. The kernel source for it was released yesterday as well as a new update to the stock firmware on the 24th which gives you the option to turn off the TnT UI overlay and go Vanilla Froyo. Fully rooted and custom kernels inbound. Let's also not forget that with kernel source means custom kernels, etc... That and the fact that it is a Tegra 2 250 dual core Cortex A9, Honeycomb will fully support it as it has been rumored that Google is using this SoC as the reference design, i.e. MotoTab.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Make your life easy. Get a Viewsonic GTab and run TnT Lite or VEGAn on it. The kernel source for it was released yesterday as well as a new update to the stock firmware on the 24th which gives you the option to turn off the TnT UI overlay and go Vanilla Froyo. Fully rooted and custom kernels inbound. Let's also not forget that with kernel source means custom kernels, etc... That and the fact that it is a Tegra 2 250 dual core Cortex A9, Honeycomb will fully support it as it has been rumored that Google is using this SoC as the reference design, i.e. MotoTab.

LOL, you know, we HAVE drifted away from the discussion of tablets, into the area of good and evil, and crimes against rooted owners. Sorry guys - I tend to get carried away sometimes. :)

-Mike

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I went and looked at the Galaxy Tab last night and seriously my rooted Droid is much faster. I am not paying $600 for something I will have trouble rooting that I cannot overclock and remove bloatware from. I would take a Samsung over a Motorola tablet any day still. I agree that Motorola leaves a bad taste in my mouth, with their horrible blur interface, bad camera lenses, and malicious activity towards tech savvy consumers.