Galaxy S 5, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S5 Discussions' started by Jeffrey, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey DF Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Now that we have a fair amount of Galaxy S 5 users here at DF, share your thoughts. We want to know about what's good, what's bad and what's ugly.
  2. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

The Good
    - Amazing screen
    - Great battery life
    - Ultra power saving mode is fantastic when needed
    - IP67 rating
    - Camera in bright light (it can take some stunning pictures)
    - Some useful Samsung software features (muli window, air view, one-handed operation, toolbox)
    - Expandable storage
    - Removable battery

The Bad
    - Camera in anything other than bright light (it takes too long to capture photos - which often leads to blur, and low light shots often look like oil paintings due to over processing)
    - Some lag now and then that really shouldn't happen (not a major issue)
    - Cluttered menus and toggles (they're much better than previous Samsung devices though)
    - USB port flap (a minor annoyance I'm more than willing to deal with though for the IP67 rating)

The Ugly
    - Nothing really. I have yet to find anything glaringly wrong with the phone.

A few closing observations:

- The biggest disappointment for me is the camera in low light situations. It's too slow to process, and even if the phone is sitting perfectly still, the results just aren't that great many times.
    - I know a lot of people knock the build quality of Samsung devices, but I have no problems with them. Plastic makes the phone lighter, and it's also far more forgiving in a drop. I like the feel of the back cover.
    - Many people also avoid Samsung devices because of Touch Whiz. While I'm not a Touch Whiz fan in the slightest, it is scaled back a bit on the S5 (although it's still a far cry from being great). But Nova solves a lot of the problems with the look of it and with speed.
    - The fingerprint scanner is fine, but having to hold it just right and swipe just right takes more time than a pattern unlock. Knock Apple all you want, but Touch ID works incredibly well and is exactly how a fingerprint scanner should be implemented on a smartphone.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the phone.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  3. Jeffrey

Awsome. Thanks for sharing.
  4. ferret57

ferret57 New Member

The only bad part I have experienced is 1. needs more ram 2. the cover for the hdmi/micro usb is poorly made. Not even 2 months and the hinge broke off. Called Samsung and they want you to send the phone in or repair, could take up to a month to get it back.
  5. Jeffrey

Thanks for sharing.
  6. Claudzion

Claudzion New Member

I love my S5. Only things I find annoying is the 'menu' button gone and the fact that you can't control notification volume along with ringing volume.
    Love the screen, love the camera, love most features!
    One of the best! ... yet. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
  7. cr6

cr6 DF Super Moderator Staff Member

That's great! Thanks for your input!
  8. Thinkfreshdell

Thinkfreshdell New Member

SWITCH TO APPLE! <3 iOS
  9. jspradling7

jspradling7 Active Member

+1 @bsweetness
  10. mslaceyrose

mslaceyrose Active Member

Thanks for this thread. These are exactly the real world user reports that I'm looking for in making my decision. Thanks for sharing your observations and conclusions, people. Looking forward to more :)

SwiftKeyed via Tapatalk
  11. WTF??

WTF?? Member

Would like to hear more.... thinking of upgrading!

Your feedback please!
  12. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Well-Known Member

I absolutely love everything about the S5. I've been using it for a month now and really don't have any major complaints. The camera is phenomenal in every condition I have put it through, even low-light. Signal seems to keep up with my Motorola in my house, which is practically a dead zone for Verizon. I do agree about the fingerprint scanner though, it just isn't very accurate.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
  13. ferret57

ferret57 New Member

Loving the S5. The only thing I am not fond of is the little door that gives it the water resistant rating. BUT, did find out they do sell them over Ebay and really easy to take off and/or put on. I purchased the wireless charging back (had 50 % off for registering with Samsung) and a Qi charging pad, generic and it's working great. Remember if you go from iphone to android, make sure you unsubscribe from imessages or your won't get your regular text messages at all.
  14. Jeffrey

Thanks for sharing ferret.
  15. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Member

My only minor quibbles after a week with my S5 are:

- That flimsy little charge port cover. I just know it's going to come off eventually, no matter how careful I am.

- Placement of power button opposite the volume rocker. In order to get a firm press on the power button, my fingers naturally grip on the opposite side for leverage - right where the volume rocker is, which leads to constantly accidentally adjusting the volume when turning on/off my screen.
  16. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Well-Known Member

I don't have that problem with the volume rocker, or charging slot. For the power button, I typically would use my left hand but I've learned to use the thumb on my right hand. I constantly see people putting their phone into safe mode because of the button/rocker placement

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
  17. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Member

Maybe I should post an image of my issue.. :)
  18. pdoyle

pdoyle Member

Love the GS5 responsiveness; no lag time at all, far superior to my latest motorola Maxx HD and Razr Maxx. Does everything quicker and 'the way it should work'; connecting to bluetooth, wifi, doesn't drop a call in deadzones, able to find a weak Verizon signal where motorola couldn't. Screen is amazingly clear. Camera; I don't see it as superior despite the reviews, to my Maxx HD which also had difficulty with low-light. Great daylight shots. Great two camera feature allowing for skype.
    Bad; the directional guidance voice volume is much louder than music volume and doesn't have a separate control; so very annoying that guidance comes on blaringly loud during a song. Have to turn the volume of music down so much, it's not enjoyable.
    Bad: haven't found a program to transfer playlists and songs from itunes to phone; so as with the motorolas, i'm stuck with google play music which is inconsistent and out of control, downloading multiple versions of songs, losing them, then downloading more versions. Don't know how many times Appetite for Destruction will have to be downloaded to the phone before it remains. Then, I have 10 copies of Appetite on the phone.
    Bad; gs5 loses my ringtone sometime soon after setup. Changes from ringtone, to "call coming from John Doe"....
    Bad: phone is just a bit too large for one-handed operation, cannot reach the entire keyboard. The one-hand operation is a great feature; but reverts back after display times out. Why not engineer it to stay in one-hand operation after timeout? would have been a huge advantage; now, the one hand is just too frustrating to even bother using cuz it takes several swipes to activate it. This point is such an obvious drawback that could have been corrected but it wasn't.
    But overall, I'm very pleased to switch from motorola after many years, to GS5. Guess I'm a perfectionist. And what they say is correct; different phones are strong in different features, so it really depends on what's important to the user.
  19. Jeffrey

Thanks for sharing @pdoyle.
  20. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Try this
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/... lock&pcampaignid=APPU_Th-sU6HhDaTM8wHHjoCIDg
    for your sleep and if memory serves the tapping the home button should wake the phone, at least that's what happens with my Note2 and Note8 when I tap the home button when it's asleep.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Search tags for this page

doe the galaxy s 5 have problems getting stuck after charging

forgot password for private mode galaxy s5
forgot samsung galaxy s5 password
galaxy s5 when i call they say sound bad
good and bad about the samsung galaxy s5

i cannot hear the ringtone on my samsung galaxy s5

make s5 louder without root

my s5 ugly
samsung galaxy s5 port flap issues
what is bad about the galaxy s 5