Galaxy S 5, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S5 Discussions' started by Jeffrey, Jun 7, 2014.

1. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    I gave had just about every Droid out there dating back to the OD. I've also had 2 different iPhone. I can tell you that first Android beats apple hands down in my book especially if you like to tweek your phone. As for the GS5 this is an awesome device. I agree with the complains over the charging door but it is manageable. I am not having any of the issues with my camera that have been spoken of. I do remember turning off the delay (I would have to look at my phone to give you the exact setting) . The battery life is beyond compare. I will tell you I am using a third party launcher not touch wiz and I love the phone even more. There are plenty of tweeks available out there that do not need root and do not require you to do anything crazy with your phone.

How this helps with your decision to get a GS5.
  2. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Member

Today I realized that if I cut my fingernails too short, it makes it a lot tougher to charge my phone. :)
    MattE303 likes this.
  3. cr6

cr6 DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Well folks, two weeks in owning my S5 and I have to say I am absolutely blown away by this device! The speed, the screen, the battery life are all so much better than I had hoped for. Even Touchwiz is a huge improvement, so I haven't even bothered installing Apex. (Although I probably will eventually simply because I'm missing some of the gestures and app drawer features) The camera takes amazing photos, though indoor low light shots take a second longer to focus than outdoor/natural lighting. Speaking of outdoor, viewing this device in direct overhead sunlight is great and I have yet to experience a phone that can compete in this area. My only real complaint was the flap that covers the charging port. It's taken some getting used to but it's gotten much easier to handle and the good thing is the little flap doesn't feel like it could easily snap off, so that's a plus. Overall I'm glad I stuck with the Galaxy line as it's a huge improvement over my S3. If anyone is still on the fence about buying the S5, I can assure you, you will not be disappointed.

tap'n on my S5
  4. bocabean

bocabean Member

I have had GS5 for roughly a week now, as well. Generally speaking, I am enjoying it, although I am very hesitant to go the root route just yet. I switched from a Droid Razr Maxx which was rooted, running the Aviator Rom. Although I did not find the root process difficult (and I do miss my Titanium backups and other root required apps), I am just a bit concerned about how things will work in the KitKat world. Plus, I think that I should use the device in stock form for at least a good 3-6 months until I am really ready to go root again.

In the interim, my biggest complaint is obviously the issues with the SD card, which ironically, will be the #1 reason for me to rethink just how long I will be willing to wait to root. I have pretty much recovered all of the important apps and data that I needed, so for now, I will just complain about the silly USB flap like everyone else. Battery seems fine and I am now getting used to the AutomateIt app which I installed to replace the Moto Smart Actions app.

I weighed the pros and cons of waiting just a bit longer for the LGG3 to come out, as well as the HTC (not to mention the upcoming Sony X...) but at the end of the day, and after having read countless articles, threads, etc., the S5 was the right choice for me. I'm glad that I got it.
    Jeffrey likes this.
  5. cr6

cr6 DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Don't hesitate with root! It literally takes 5 seconds and just as long to return to stock. It's a very cut and dry process which you can't screw up. There's no need for a Rom on this device. Just root, titanium backup and the AdFree app. Throw in Xposed if you want to mod a bit further and you're set.
    Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

tap'n on my S5
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    Jeffrey likes this.
  6. dfwtexan

dfwtexan New Member

I agree, too long to capture a picture. Also, the private mode access if you lose or forget your password no one, as of now, has an answer on how to retrieve or reset password without hard reset to phone.
    Jeffrey likes this.
  7. pdoyle

pdoyle Member

Two months later update: I've gotten pretty much used to the size of the screen and learned to stretch my fingers farther, so I don't even bother with the 'small screen' setting which doesn't stay past the sleep mode anyway. Really enjoying media monkey which allows file storage of mp3 to the sd card, so better alternative to google music. (dont they have any real users on their design team???) Surprisingly, the flimsy port flap has not broken off yet. Fast charger is a godsend. Screen still fantastic. connectivity to both wifi and LG3 and LG4 is the best; I've never dropped a call, even in dead zones. I'm more happy with this phone the longer I use it.
    mslaceyrose and Jeffrey like this.
  8. Jeffrey

Jeffrey DF Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thanks for the great input...
  9. mslaceyrose

mslaceyrose Active Member

Thanks from me too, pdoyle. It's always nice to hear real user's initial impressions of a device, but when someone is still happy with it once the "honeymoon" period is over, that's
    an even better endorsement. :)
Search tags for this page

doe the galaxy s 5 have problems getting stuck after charging

forgot password for private mode galaxy s5
forgot samsung galaxy s5 password
galaxy s5 when i call they say sound bad
good and bad about the samsung galaxy s5

i cannot hear the ringtone on my samsung galaxy s5

make s5 louder without root

my s5 ugly
samsung galaxy s5 port flap issues
what is bad about the galaxy s 5