G mail privacy

nita

Reaction score
How do I remove the G mail icon ? Anyone can pick up my phone and look at my G mail inbox - this is not cool. All they have to do is hit the G mail icon. There's seems to be no way to keep it private other than to keep my screen off all the time.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
You can remove the Gmail icon from your home screen simply by pressing and holding it for a second. After a second, you will see a garbage can at the bottom of the screen. When you see that, drag the icon into the trash.

After you do this, you will have to open your app tray to get to your gmail icon...not much safer, but not as obvious either.

Guchi

Reaction score
you let just anyone pick up your Droid???

Guurzak

Reaction score
How do I remove the G mail icon ? Anyone can pick up my phone and look at my G mail inbox - this is not cool. All they have to do is hit the G mail icon. There's seems to be no way to keep it private other than to keep my screen off all the time.

If you have frequent problems with "anyone" picking up your phone and poking through it, you should turn on the pattern lock. Settings: Location & Security: Change Unlock Pattern and then Require Pattern.

OP
N

nita

Reaction score
Thanks everyone - I've already done those things. Seems to be no answer.

Guurzak

Reaction score
If locking your phone and deleting the app icon are "no answer", what kind of solution are you looking for? If you could have things exactly how you wanted, what would that be? Do you want to have no gmail access on your phone at all?

OP
N

nita

Reaction score
If locking your phone and deleting the app icon are "no answer", what kind of solution are you looking for? If you could have things exactly how you wanted, what would that be? Do you want to have no gmail access on your phone at all?

I would like to have to put in my password for Gmail before the messages appear. Is that a lot to ask?

Guurzak

Reaction score
No, it's not a lot to ask, but you have to ask for it =) Your first message did not say "I want to have to enter my password for Gmail every time", it said "how do I remove the icon?"

It does not appear that you can get what you're looking for from the stock Gmail app. However, you might be able to achieve this by using the browser to go to m.gmail.com instead.