Free hotspot for rooted users

lettuce chief

Reaction score
Hey, i rooted recently with revolutionary. It was hella easy and im very happy with the outcome. Id read somewhere months ago about an app that allowed rooted users to use the hotspot without paying the monthly charges. Anyone know what its called?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

afrchutch

Reaction score
That link worked but the tethering app not only didn't work, but it made my phone reboot after about 20 minutes. Uninstall.

afrchutch

Reaction score
Know of any others?

DAVID2010

Reaction score
I have the unlimited data plan on my smartphone. But thats for the smartphone. Not my Xbox, laptop, or tablet. People abusing these data plans is part of the reason we can't get unlimited data plans with the big carrier's anymore. It sucks but I know Verizon is going to have to step in at some point just like AT&T does.

djsiva

Reaction score
I have the unlimited data plan on my smartphone. But thats for the smartphone. Not my Xbox, laptop, or tablet. People abusing these data plans is part of the reason we can't get unlimited data plans with the big carrier's anymore. It sucks but I know Verizon is going to have to step in at some point just like AT&T does.

Like I said, it's a touchy subject for some. I don't own a tablet or an xbox, and I VERY rarely tether, but when I do it's usually an emergency for work or a client. I'm not going to pay $30 per month for maybe 50mb of data each month.

afrchutch

Reaction score
I agree. We are paying $30 a month for data. Tethering should be included at no extra charge if you ask me. What I'm worried about is the rumors I've heard that Verizon can see somehow that you're open source tethering and they cancel your contract and shut off your phone. Anyone heard about this?

DAVID2010

Reaction score
I agree. We are paying $30 a month for data. Tethering should be included at no extra charge if you ask me. What I'm worried about is the rumors I've heard that Verizon can see somehow that you're open source tethering and they cancel your contract and shut off your phone. Anyone heard about this?

LOL. I think a lot of things should be free. But there not.

afrchutch

Reaction score
Cell phone providers are like oil companies. Gouge, gouge, gouge.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
See a lot of people think that 30.00 for the old unlimited data plan is a lot of money, how much do you pay for internet at home? Comcast charges me almost 50 a month for my internet and I can't take it with me on a road trip. I'll gladly pay 30 a month for a mobile internet connection.

Now that being said, I think eventually tethering will be free and open just like my ability to add a wireless router to my home internet connection and access it with any devise I see fit.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now that being said, I think eventually tethering will be free and open just like my ability to add a wireless router to my home internet connection and access it with any devise I see fit.

And I think that's the issue for most people. Didn't cable used to be the way cell phones are now? You had to pay for each device you wanted to connect.

Why should I have to pay more for my own data on another device? Its not like the unlimited people could completely abuse that because of the "network optimization" Verizon has started.

Sent from my CushZero using DroidForums

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Yes, cable use to charge you per television connected whereas now the only fee to connect a second or even third television is if it has its own dvr. I think eventually a suit will be filed and tethering will be treated the same way home internet and cable are.

afrchutch

Reaction score
Good point. Century link is charging me $40 a month. I just believe the tethering feature should be included as a package deal that's all.