Frankenstine Bionic

Droid_Enthusiast

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum, I have searched all of the forums/googled every word combination I could think of to find this answer.

I hope I am posting this in the right spot :/

I am hoping someone can help!?

Want to build a 4G Android to my specs. The case is not an issue, I can build a custom case. The issue I am having is not know if I can build an android phone from scratch or even from a starter such as the Bionic.

I want to be able to upgrade ram, upgrade camera, screen size, EVERYTHING! I would love to build something like the bionic with a larger screen and a keyboard like the Droid 3.

A phone is basically a mini pc. I can build a laptop from scratch.....why cant I do it with a phone. Has anyone ever done this?

Like I said before, building a case for all of this is not a problem, I just need to components to work.

I am sure it can be done, if anyone has any ideas or knows of anyone that I can contact; please tell me!!

Thanks in advanced!!!!

Tegamal

Reaction score
If the parts are available, I'm sure it's possible, but I wouldn't even know where to start. You are in the right place, though, this community is amazing! dancedroid

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Of course you can build your Frankenstine , here are some instructions on how to upgrade the RAM

SOC.jpg

Now all you need is to use some high-level programming language and write a new set of instructions for the input/output of the system-on-a-chip , compile and assemble that into a compact code ( firmware ) and re-write the NAND with that code , now you can connect a hardware keyboard to a SoC that wasn't designed for it . You also have to develop some drivers for your keyboard and bigger display .
Luckily Android is GNU GPL so you can get the source code and recompile your own kernel and operating system with drivers for the custom components of your choice . Here are some great resources Android Developers .
Keep us updated on your little project

Last edited:

yurdle

Reaction score
Just so you know.... if you do create said Frankenstein .... verizon will probably never let you run the device on there network..

UNC

Reaction score
If the parts are available, I'm sure it's possible, but I wouldn't even know where to start. You are in the right place, though, this community is amazing! dancedroid

This community is amazing, but I think the right place may be an IRC with a few devs, or maybe XDA. Good luck with your endeavor!

nbucko

Reaction score
Just so you know.... if you do create said Frankenstein .... verizon will probably never let you run the device on there network..

If we can root, we can find a way to "let" it run on their network.

yurdle

Reaction score
Lol doesn't quite work that way.. I guess if its 4g it could be easy as you just need to make sure you have a 4g radio comparable with Verizon and the sim for your number ...(looks like you want the bionic radio so it should work) ..
Though if it as only 3g you'd need access to Verizon's data bases inorder to activate the phone on Verizon network... Or you need a motherboard from a phone that's already activated....
Really root has nothing to do with activation on a network..