Ford Will Have An Autonomous Taxi Fleet By 2021

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DroidModderX, Aug 16, 2016.

1. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Silver Member

Ratings:
    +640
    A) I hate public transportation.
    B) I hate cities as they tend to be suboptimal for private vehicle ownership.
    C) I am a control freak so I like to be in control of my own vehicle.
    D) I don't really care about menial jobs, and therefore if they can be automated so be it. (Think the people that get paid to hold a sign out by the road. WHAT??!)
    E) Having said all of the above the tech necessary for this is very cool stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    I won't be jumping in any of these cars because, as mentioned, it's fairly certain if you have to rely on a driver for any reason that passive driver is not going to be reliable.

On a related note, I've been thinking of buying a used car (two years old). Would keep it 8-10 years, when I'm reasonably certain non-self driving cars are going to be almost worthless (unless it's a classic collectable).

In about 5 years, this is going to wreak havoc on prices of non-self driving cars. Although I'm sure the automakers will appropriately scale down production with demand.

3. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,513
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    Ok..I've never had one single accident. I am a performance driver..held a license for 2 different stock car classes but I pride myself.on car control..that said.

New Corvette stingray lt1.. gorgeous car..lots of built in redundancy..magnetic controls on the shocks.. different exhaust tunes..

Shelby gt500..2013 was the last I drove..loved that car .hated the brake fade..but..for a car with heads as broad as my shoulders..I loved that car.

2016 zl1 Camaro..with z28 track.package added ..omfg..the car is big like me...it runs and the pushrod v8 with supercharger and the 6 speed..wow..

My latest ...the new smokey and the bandit ta ..you bring an ss Camaro and 40 k..or finance..850 hp lsx 454. T tops and subframe connectors and all that stuff added..Burt Reynolds signature..

Cars have many keep you safe systems..and they're great about staying functional..

My problem is..with all that performance..why do I want to turn lose of the wheel?? We have 4 cylinder turbos that are faster than 5.0 mustang gts ..I'm sorry..I like to drive..I want to have a say in what happens to me...as I get older and lose that edge..then I'll hopefully re-evaluate that .

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. shockracer

shockracer Active Member

Ratings:
    +184
    I'm excited to see the TrackHawk!

I'm with you on that, I love to drive! I had grown up racing karts and went on to cars from there. Now I'm stuck with Rocky Mountain Jeeping. I don't think I could ever handle not driving and not being in control.

5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    I think this is a game changer for people in big cities with traffic problems. If you have an hour commute, you can use that time productively in your self-driving car. Even 4-5hr roadtrips would be highly preferable to flying (a distance/time considered relatively breakeven when factoring in travel to the airport, security, etc).

Flexible work arrangements and electric vehicles would even allow one to commute 3 hours each way every day, doing half your work in the car.

• Agree Agree x 1