1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Force Close in Messaging

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by keith5885, Nov 18, 2009.

1. keith5885

keith5885 New Member

This is very strange.

I have a Droid and download many random apps. Many of them run and I kill them often to not have a laggy performance but it still happens quite a bit. I get many random force closes from all kinds of apps. Very annoying and I feel like I am the only one.

Problem:

Steps to Create force close everytime in Messaging:
    1. Compose new message
    2. Type in "D"
    3. Type in "A"
    4. *Messaging (process com.android.mms) has stopped (no wait button to choose)

Once A is typed it always force closes (40 times in a row)

I have restarted with no luck.

Any ideas? Will go see verizon soon...
  2. novacane

novacane New Member

I tried the steps on my DROID and it didn't force close so it may be one of the applications you downloaded or you may have just gotten a glitchy phone.

EDIT: Maybe try a battery pull? Or factory reset?
  3. keith5885

keith5885 New Member

How do you do a factory reset and what does it remove??
  4. novacane

novacane New Member

5. keith5885

keith5885 New Member

finding out right now...will post for all
  6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Your everywhere.....:icon_eek:
  7. keith5885

keith5885 New Member

Just went to Privacy and did factory data reset.

After activation and signing into my google account... it went to the desktop.

All shortcuts are gone but my desktop is the same custom image.

Syncing is still occurring as I can see the icon above. Nothing seems to have synced yet... going to wait till syncing is done. time is 6:24

6:25 Just got a new email message alert for gmail.

6:26 All my applications are restored and in the application list...

signing into facebook and logging in.

Just tested the "DA" issue and it works!!

Other apps need me to redo the settings...

Everything seems much quicker and snappier at the moment. Hopefully this fixed a few things... I just uninstalled all un-used apps too.
  8. dannydoes

dannydoes New Member

Now I'm getting the same thing (Messaging force closing quickly upon starting it up). Just started happening. The only thing I've installed new was the recent update to Astro File Manager. The phone in general has gotten more and more laggy. I've only installed 8 or 10 apps. Very disappointing.
  9. dannydoes

dannydoes New Member

Hey Keith, any chance you installed Handcent SMS on the phone before this started happening? Also, did the droid happen to crash before this happened to where it was locked on a dark screen and you had to pull the battery? That crash happened to me, then that's when the messaging software broke.
  10. dannydoes

dannydoes New Member

YO! I think I found the solution. It definitely fixed mine and Keiths too and you prolly wouldn't of had to reset your phone.

If you have lots of text messages that you haven't deleted, mine was around 250, then it starts force closing and can lock up the phone. As soon as I deleted a good chunk of them, it was all back to normal. Must be a memory type issue.
  11. phytphyr

phytphyr New Member

hey kieth mine is doinfg same thing it is driving me crazy mine does it on th " S " key as well!!! hmm i have the SMS pop up app downloaded on mine i wonder if that is what is doing it?? do you have that app loaded on your droid?
  12. dannydoes

dannydoes New Member

Did you try deleting your old text threads?
  13. phytphyr

phytphyr New Member

yes i have no messages in my in box! this is starting to piss me off since it is a pain in the but to enter contacts in a message anyway!! how come we cant just scroll through our contacts and pick out who we want to send a message to??? :mad:
  14. jebbunks

jebbunks New Member

Mine has been black freezing and restarting since I got it 5 days ago. At first I thought it was because of the numerous apps I dled when I first got it so I reformatted the sd card and did a factory reset. Within a day, it's back to the same crap, so it's going back. Unfortunately, I have to be without service for a day because I got it from wirefly.com to save 50 bucks... and I have to have them put another 400 on my credit card as a deposit until they receive my phone in the mail. Great potential, hope to hell my new one isn't buggy so I don't have to give up on it.
  15. iTzNiTeFoX

iTzNiTeFoX New Member

yea im having the same problem i downloaded handcent sms then my phone crashed to black screen. Afterwards i removed the app and downloaded chomp sms but it kept force closing. so i removed that and i am having a big problem with it force closing and its starting to piss me off.
  16. mtoejr

mtoejr New Member

My phone is force closing on messaging too... the first time i lost over 2000 messages. I cann't begin to describe the anger i fell about this.. But what is worse is the only so called fixes i have seen is to reset your phone to a clean slate. How does that fix anything. You don't even know what is causing it. Sure it may work for a while ... but it could start doing it again at anytime. Who do you have to contact to get Verizon or whoever to do something about the problem?
  17. dannydoes

dannydoes New Member

Fix for Force Close in messaging...

I learned this awhile back, and if this has already been posted forgive me. Just trying to help and don't have time to read every post.

The droid seems to have problems with high numbers of old text messages. If you delete the old ones the force close problem goes away.
  18. mtoejr

mtoejr New Member

that would explain the first time It force closed and erased all my messages. It doesn't explain it doing that again an hour later with less than a hundred messages. Or the next day when it did that 5 times in a row (Keep in mind it erases the messages every time) And if They know this is a problem are they working on a fix? That was my real question? I called tech support at verizon and they acted like they had never heard of it. How are they going to find out the problem if they just tell you to reset the phone every time?

Not trying to sound angry... but this is somewhat frustrating. thanks for trying to help.
  19. dannydoes

dannydoes New Member

Yea, I don't blame you. That sounds really frustrating. Doubt this will make you feel better, but it sounds like a lot of droids are lemons. People have issues that other people never experience. Have you tried uninstalling all apps and starting fresh? I wonder if it's certain apps that conflict with others, which shouldn't be the case with Linux systems so they say, but it also shouldn't be the case that the same linux operating system has inconsistent bugs.
  20. misssharon2087

misssharon2087 New Member

are any of you having problems with deleting message threads? my phone is running a little slow and when i go to delete a mesage thread it forces closed and doesnt delete anything.
Search tags for this page

android messaging force close

android messenger force closing
can i force stop my factory messenger on my android?
droid dna mms force closing
force close msg
force close on droid
force close text messaging android
force stop messaging
forceclose messaging
forced close android text
how to force close messenger
messaging force close android
messaging force close on android
moto messenger app force closing after update
text message force close android