flashlight app?

Reaction score
so what i deduced from this is that the camera drivers block us from accessing the controllers for the LED flash? if this is the case is there a way to possibly write an app over the camera and have the camera drivers running under the app framework? if that makes any sense?????? feel free to yell at me and correct me if i'm way off, i have never done anything with java or the sdk let alone know how to work eclipse

Im pretty sure the low level driver (not Camera API) controls the LED completely, it decides based on lighting conditions whether or not you need flash, only allowing you to simply override it off. lame :mad:

OP
T

thrashtrash

Reaction score
so what i deduced from this is that the camera drivers block us from accessing the controllers for the LED flash? if this is the case is there a way to possibly write an app over the camera and have the camera drivers running under the app framework? if that makes any sense?????? feel free to yell at me and correct me if i'm way off, i have never done anything with java or the sdk let alone know how to work eclipse

Im pretty sure the low level driver (not Camera API) controls the LED completely, it decides based on lighting conditions whether or not you need flash, only allowing you to simply override it off. lame :mad:

so, this means there is no possible way to override this and make the light sensor read that the flash is always needed? well lets just hope that once we find root access to the device we can simply remove this driver and write a new controller for the flash. total bummer tho, i want to tak full advantage of the hardware! stupid good development! haha

J5311

Reaction score
I found one... It doesn't use the LED's but the screen is really bright with it.

ADO Flashlight v1.0 Application for Android | Tools
chart

Last edited:
OP
T

thrashtrash

Reaction score
I found one... It doesn't use the LED's but the screen is really bright with it.

ADO Flashlight v1.0 Application for Android | Tools
chart

WOW smart guy. If we all didn't know about this this thread wouldn't be here. This thread is in reguards to a flashlight using THE LEDS. Think before you type. This is a standard android app and anyone who has had an android phone for more than a week which most of you here haven't would know about it

J5311

Reaction score
now hold up e-thug. If you read the title it says flashlight app. and there were No flashlight apps (LED or non LED) posted. I thought it would be nice to have something rather than nothing.

Why dont you stop being a prick. Or Make a better Title for your thread

OP
T

thrashtrash

Reaction score
now hold up e-thug. If you read the title it says flashlight app. and there were No flashlight apps (LED or non LED) posted. I thought it would be nice to have something rather than nothing.

Why dont you stop being a prick.

All I'm saying is read the thread before you post. That's all. In my eyes it was implied. But sorry, this is a device forum not a cock fight. Thanks for the info. Hope it helps someone

J5311

Reaction score

Why dont you stop being a prick.

All I'm saying is read the thread before you post. That's all. In my eyes it was implied. But sorry, this is a device forum not a cock fight. Thanks for the info. Hope it helps someone

I did. You made no mention of ANY flashlight app. so those looking for one now has something in the search (if they choose to look)

Dark-V

Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone knew where i could find a flashlight app for the LED flash on the DROID, something like the one available for the touchpro? or if there even is one or maybe in development.

Now I didn't see any "Edited" tags on the OP, but if I do see there it did say LED.

Making an app that just increases the brightness an turns the screen white is very basic and well known. The iPhone has had that since the beginning. It's been stated a couple times in the thread about utilizing the LEDs cause they are frickin' bright! I used the single LED flash from my Storm as a flashlight and it was awesome.

Can't wait for the Devs to crack this phone.

rfabro

Reaction score
Yeah, it says LED in the OP. Wasn't hard for me to understand, anyway.

donniedroid

Reaction score
Led light--capacitor

It seems to me that the LEds take a moment to activate as if they are waiting for a capacitor to charge first jus like an old time flash did...does the flash just work from the battery or is there a capacitor that charges first...if there is the best we could hope for would be a strobe light and not a flash light...I am just saying....I may be way off base.

foolie

Reaction score
I think the phone might have to be rooted before we see an app for the LED light.
Meanwhile, I've been using color flashlight, which turns the whole screen into a flat screen of various colors, on white, its pretty bright.

Dark-V

Reaction score
Actually LEDs don't need a capacitor to light at all. The capacitors used in standard bulb flashes are instant-discharge capacitors. The bulbs need a huge spike of current to "flash", that the dinky little electronics in the camera can't do. So it charges up the Capacitor and BLAM! Flash.

It's probably just software lag.

rfabro

Reaction score
New app is out that uses LED. Search "led flashlight" in store. It's 99 cents, but it does its job.