Fix for "Download Unsuccessful" or many other download issues.

DroidTech

Reaction score
Has all downloads stopped working for you? Or has only downloads from one area stopped working? IE: Market, Browser, Aptoide, Apktor, etc. Well this happened to me last night and after much searching I never found anyone with the answer. Hopefully this post can help some people out.

First off, here is what I am running:

Phone:

Droid X - Rooted - Rubix Focused 1.0 - Incognito Red Blurless 3.1

Symptoms:
Downloads fail from different areas. Either browser, market, other places or all of them.

• Downloads from the market will say, "Download started", but the progress bar will never move.
  • Downloads from the browser will say, "Download Unsuccessful", after only a split second.
  • Downloads from Apktor or the like will say, "Could not connect to the server!".
The problem:
For some reason, you do not have permissions to write to your specified download folder.

The fix:

1. Run Root Explorer (Or acquire it if you have not yet).
  2. Browse to the specified download folder. For the browser this is usually the "Downloads" folder on your SDCard. For Apktor-Aptoide it is usually the ".Aptoide" folder on your SDCard. For the market, there is a different fix.
  3. Once you have found your folder, tap and hold on it until the pop up menu comes up. Scroll down and tap on "Permissions".
  4. You'll probably find that the "User" account does not have write permissions (Maybe not read or execute either).
  5. Simply tap on and give the user read,write, and execute permissions to that folder.
  6. Exit and enjoy.
FOR MARKET DOWNLOAD ISSUES:

1. Go into settings/Applications/Manage Applications
  2. Scroll down and select "Browser".
  3. Tap on, "Clear data".
  4. Tap on, "Clear cache". (Pretty sure its just data that you need. But might as well!)
  5. Exit and enjoy.

Suspected Cause of Problem:
My problem started after playing with, "ROM Manager". I was seeing what all it could do, saw the "Fix Permissions" option and ran it. I think that this is what cleared the permissions to my download folders.

***This might not be the cause of every download issue, but after all of my research, I could not find any other resolutions besides "Wipe the phone" or "return to verizon". I am also not saying that the ROM Manager app is bad, but maybe it conflicts with some settings I have. Perhaps the dev could check into this and see if it is incorrectly setting permissions.***

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
:welcome:

All I want to add is that the market downloads run on their own schedule based on whatever google wants them to based upon.

I have seen many, many posts asking for help with "market issues" and in my experience, any problems downloading from the market has NOTHING at all to do with whether your phone is rooted or not, nor what rom (if rooted) it is running. With the market we are at Google's mercy.

jdrswim

Reaction score
You were correct. I went to Root Explorer and download folder and went to permissions... The USER: Read / Write was not checked off...

When I check it off though and exit it does not stayed checked off. I can try it 100 times and it constantly unchecks its self!

Suggestions?

dmcwethy

Reaction score
You were correct. I went to Root Explorer and download folder and went to permissions... The USER: Read / Write was not checked off...

When I check it off though and exit it does not stayed checked off. I can try it 100 times and it constantly unchecks its self!

Suggestions?

Same result here, either in R/O or R/W mode.

I can download, but get pertetual "installing". Also, if trying to delete I get perpetual "uninstalling", and no satisfaction with either.

LT*

Reaction score

I can download, but get pertetual "installing". Also, if trying to delete I get perpetual "uninstalling", and no satisfaction with either.

I am having this same issue with install and uninstall. They just hang and hang until I either reboot or stop the market in app manager. Did you ever figure out why or a fix for this?

dmcwethy

Reaction score
Still no idea. Some folks report success with Settings/Applications/Market clearing cache. My Market sticks 'computing....', allows me to clear data, but tho cache button is lit and clicks, nothing happens and button stays lit.

I've tried to clear cache by changing ROMs, but Market still sticks at installing or uninstalling. Now using cyanogenmod rc4 on my motodroid, but this frustrating problem persists.

dmcwethy

Reaction score
Also check 'Rooted Droid Help' forum, thread 'Market problems'

dmcwethy

Reaction score
Is there a way to re-install froyo ota? Is this a way to get my Market working again?

I'm using FRG22D and would rather reinstall and have to re-root than have inability to install and uninstall apps. If recommended, where to download, how to do it?

LT*

Reaction score
Still no idea. Some folks report success with Settings/Applications/Market clearing cache. My Market sticks 'computing....', allows me to clear data, but tho cache button is lit and clicks, nothing happens and button stays lit.

I've tried to clear cache by changing ROMs, but Market still sticks at installing or uninstalling. Now using cyanogenmod rc4 on my motodroid, but this frustrating problem persists.

This is exactly what is happening to me. I have the same "computing" thing going on. Can force stop, clear data, but not cache. This is the only way I can stop the hanging installs. My solution...Called for a replacement. It will be here tomorrow. May I ask if you know what lead to this situation for you?

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Please refer to post number 2 in this thread. Google's server load is at fault 95% of the time. We just have to be patient and/or deal with it. @LT, wow a new phone?

good luck

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Oh just so you know, I am not immune to this problem. In fact I have had it more times that I care to mention (and probably at least as many times as "market problems" threads posted all over the world). But my experience has shown that my above post (and post #2) is the only real and true answer.

good luck

LT*

Reaction score
Please refer to post number 2 in this thread. Google's server load is at fault 95% of the time. We just have to be patient and/or deal with it. @LT, wow a new phone?

good luck

Yeah, my issue has nothing to do with the market. I can't install from the web or restore backups with Titanium either. I also can't uninstall any app. I couldn't find a fix, and figure I should start the journey into refurbville while I still have time on my 1 year warranty.

LT*

Reaction score
It seems the issue is my SD card. Going to buy a new one.

DroidFan88

Reaction score
I have been having the same issue, regardless of the rom I've used, have gone back to stock, everything, finally, popped in a different SD card and problem was resolved. I'll try re-formating my other one and see if that works, if not, I'll have to buy another one.

jaydipkumar7

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung note

If you are using the android default browser then, please goto browser setting > advanced setting > select restore default.

Might worked....it worked on my samsung galaxy s2.

GOod luck.