First impressions of my new Droid - some hiccups for me

MrTommy

Reaction score
First off, I've got to say I absolutely love the technology behind this 'phone'. It's fun to fiddle with even when I'm not actually using it for anything. This is what I've been waiting for. Instant weather maps, road conditions a click away, web surfing. Wow.

However, being an OTR truck driver, I've already found some problems as far as my use. My phone will be suctioned to the windshield, and constantly having to press that button at the upper right to make anything happen will end up causing the phone to fall off the windshield (I just know it, because occasionally my nv2 does it, and it's much lighter). I wish a simple screen touch would activate the screen. I understand the need for the screen to go dark to conserve power, but the hard press on that button is going to be a problem that the ordinary user doesn't face. I might be able to set the bottom of my window mount so it sits on the dash, but then there might be problems reaching down to it (you'd have to see my dash board to completely understand my plight). I won't be able to check this out until tomorrow when I go in to work. Sigh.

Doing quick text messaging will be sorta unquick because the virtual keyboard requires a steady hand, and there no such thing in my truck (ha). Even the pull-out keyboard poses a problem because I installed a "Body Glove" protective cover on the phone and it partially blocks the top row of keys. My fault, of course, but I thought the protection would be good in MY case especially.

Most of this stuff could be viewed as trivial of course, but the big thing will be the part about having to press that button at the top all the time. I hate to say it, but for me this might just be the deal breaker. I might have to return the phone for this simple thing - and it pains me. I LOVE THIS THING!!!:frown:

texasPI

Reaction score
You could set the screen to never time out while on the windshield. Downside is you'll have to have powered all the time but since you're in the truck it should not be a problem.

OP
MrTommy

MrTommy

Reaction score
Powered all the time

Hmmmm. Not a bad idea. I thought that might cause a problem with the battery though. One of my old phones (way back when I had an LG510) was always plugged in, and eventually the battery went south and I could only use it plugged in. No more carrying it around and making calls. Seems I read somewhere that current charging technology prevents this from happening. What say you?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Even though the button may be trivial to people for you it's not working. I'd say return it now before you get too attached to it : )

Just like anything new though it may be just that you need to go through an adjustment period. It took me a little bit to get used to it. Now I don't even think about it but everybody is different.

You could try Screebl Lite as well. It's a free app that will leave your screen on without having to go through changing the settings all the time

Good luck

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Set it to always stay on when hooked to a charger.

Menu>Settings>Applications>Development>Stay Wake(Screen will never sleep while charing)

BTW, if this would cause a problem it wouldn't stay on by default when you put it in the Multimedia Dock.

OP
MrTommy

MrTommy

Reaction score
Even though the button may be trivial to people for you it's not working. I'd say return it now before you get too attached to it : )

Just like anything new though it may be just that you need to go through an adjustment period. It took me a little bit to get used to it. Now I don't even think about it but everybody is different.

You could try Screebl Lite as well. It's a free app that will leave your screen on without having to go through changing the settings all the time

I'm already too attached to it! What's not to love? Leaving it plugged in might just be the ticket though. So long as the battery isn't damaged as a result. I'd only have to turn the screen on and off once a day - not too big a deal. I just have to make sure my background screen is not too bright so as to cause a night vision problem.

Thanks for the responses!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had to do some modification to my dash to get my bracket to hold my phone on there the way I wanted... I might have a solution for the suction cup windshield issue (falling off when you press the top bottom)

...3M adhesive strips. I used these to attached my bracket to the dash board and it DOESN'T MOVE AT ALL. In fact getting it off may be a fight later on :) (The bracket has a flat back so I just adhered the strips and 'stuck' it to the dash.)

I dunno how well they'll stick to the windshield but 3M generally sticks to everything. Just an FYI.

OP
MrTommy

MrTommy

Reaction score
Phone attached to windshield

That would work if I was always in the same truck (and most of the time I am, but in the LTL world, nothing is forever - or even constant). I've managed to get a small video cam to stay attached to the windshield using the same mount turned sideways, so I'm hoping. So far, I might hang on to the phone a few more days to see if the tip for leaving the screen turned on and plugged in will save my bacon. As I mentioned above, I absolutely LOVE this thing, and it would be withdrawal already of I have to part with it. Ha,

mrschmitz

Reaction score
I'm already too attached to it! What's not to love? Leaving it plugged in might just be the ticket though. So long as the battery isn't damaged as a result. I'd only have to turn the screen on and off once a day - not too big a deal. I just have to make sure my background screen is not too bright so as to cause a night vision problem.
Thanks for the responses!

The battery will NOT be damaged by leaving it plugged in, don't worry about that at all. As for the brightness, just let it auto-adjust and it will be much dimmer at night, that ought to help out.

OP
MrTommy

MrTommy

Reaction score
Battery not damaged by leaving plugged in

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This will go a long way to letting me keep the Droid - and not have to submit myself to MASSIVE WITHDRAWAL. And after only one day...

zegolf

Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, thank you. This will go a long way to letting me keep the Droid - and not have to submit myself to MASSIVE WITHDRAWAL. And after only one day...

It's only going to get worse! Wait until they start creating apps designed specifically for your field of employment!!

(Hey, it's bound to happen!)

TatDroid

Reaction score
When the Droid is in GPS ("car mode") don't you want to have it plugged in all the time anyway? And I ASSUME that you're talking about GPS - 'cause I don't even want to think about those 80,000 pound 18 wheelers sharing the highway with me while their drivers are trying to tap out text messages on their touch screens...

zegolf

Reaction score
When the Droid is in GPS ("car mode") don't you want to have it plugged in all the time anyway? And I ASSUME that you're talking about GPS - 'cause I don't even want to think about those 80,000 pound 18 wheelers sharing the highway with me while their drivers are trying to tap out text messages on their touch screens...

I was thinking he might be giving himself a back massage with "Dildroid" or perhaps battle the evil ninjas while playing Bad Dudes on Nesoid!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I was thinking he might be giving himself a back massage with "Dildroid" or perhaps battle the evil ninjas while playing Bad Dudes on Nesoid!

Dildroid? LOL

Please tell me that's not a real app :icon_eek:

zegolf

Reaction score
chart

It sure is! (That link is SFW, also).