First DX Custom Rom?

anuraj1

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I have read on this forum, multiple times that if its been written it can be hacked.

According to P3Droid (who brought us Droid Froyo in the first place) The Droid X is hardware encrypted. So it isn't a matter of hacking written software. A hardware "fuse" trips, literally turning the device into a brick.

The fuse can apparently be un-tripped, but it takes specialized hardware and JTAG language software, which normal people don't have access to.

I am hoping that it isn't this complicated, but from what I'm reading, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Seems complex and thanks for the info.

Question: If it is some sort of "trip" would that require the device to be physically opened in order to root or would some complex software be sufficient.

As you can see I have little knowledge of how Androids work.

The device will probably get rooted (through a software exploit) so you can use apps that require root access like drocap2, root explorer, and maybe even setcpu. But loading custom ROMS, custom recovery or custom kernels probably won't happen because the bootloader is locked. So what good is the ability to use setcpu if you don't have an overclockable kernel?

Who knows what will actually happen, P3Droid is the only dev that has taken a look at it so far. We have so many talented people in the Android community, that someone may very well figure something out. Like I said though, I'm not getting my hopes up.

jdk2

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1103
I'm pretty sure I have read on this forum, multiple times that if its been written it can be hacked.

According to P3Droid (who brought us Droid Froyo in the first place) The Droid X is hardware encrypted. So it isn't a matter of hacking written software. A hardware "fuse" trips, literally turning the device into a brick.

The fuse can apparently be un-tripped, but it takes specialized hardware and JTAG language software, which normal people don't have access to.

I am hoping that it isn't this complicated, but from what I'm reading, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Question: If it is some sort of "trip" would that require the device to be physically opened in order to root or would some complex software be sufficient.

It's apparently specialized software not availble through normal channels. Probably only available to very specific Motorola personnel to avoid leaks to the public.

magikmarkur

Reaction score

The device will probably get rooted (through a software exploit) so you can use apps that require root access like drocap2, root explorer, and maybe even setcpu. But loading custom ROMS, custom recovery or custom kernels probably won't happen because the bootloader is locked. So what good is the ability to use setcpu if you don't have an overclockable kernel?

Who knows what will actually happen, P3Droid is the only dev that has taken a look at it so far. We have so many talented people in the Android community, that someone may very well figure something out. Like I said though, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Can you elaborate on what does apps are and why the phone needs to be rooted to run them? I'm tech savvy just not accustomed to Android yet.

anuraj1

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on what does apps are and why the phone needs to be rooted to run them? I'm tech savvy just not accustomed to Android yet.

Sure, I'm sorry, I was speaking like everyone would know what I was talking about without. Let me back up a bit.

Root is also called superuser permission (like an administrator account on windows). Some programs require you to have superuser privileges to run them. You can google "android apps that require root" to get a much more complete list, but a few common ones are:

Drocap2: lets you take screenshots of your phone (not sure why that requires privileges)

SetCPU: Lets you overclock your phone if you have an overclock kernel that devs create.

Wireless Tether for Root Users: when you run this app, your phone becomes a wifi hotspot, and lets your computer, ipod touch, whatever else connect to the internet using your phone's internet connection. Completely free. No extra fees.

Root Explorer is just a file manager that lets you explore parts of your phone that you normally cannot see.

Titanium backup: backs up all your apps, texts, bluetooth pairings, etc.

Like I said, there are many more but you can google that and see some more cool Root User apps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3

Right, and a computer CAN count pi to billions of digits, but how long's it going to take you to count it?

Everything can be cracked, but what good is cracking root on the Droid X if it takes three years? None whatsoever. For that reason, it may as well be uncrackable because it'll be a junk phone by that time. Particularly right now with smartphone technology moving ahead at blinding speeds.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
like wifi tether. instead of paying $20 a month with 2gb limit, you can root droid and install 3rd party app and have same wifi tether without limit for free.

Fault

Reaction score
I have been around the cracking scene for a long time, not just phones. Everything is crackable. Period. Proof: u can even 'burn' vinyl records, just using some plaster. Its all possible. U just need the people and the time to do it. I'm sure once the us devs have a hold of the x, and working alongside those with the milestone, this will get cracked.
So will it get cracked? Maybe
Can it be? For sure

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk