Files app and wireless transfers

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Finally an easy way to tranfer files wirelessly!!!!! Been waiting for something like this that worked well for a while.
Can't get it to access anything other than the public areas of my pc though, even though i'm sure I entered the username and password correctly. Might there be a setting on the pc I need to change for this??

end of line...

FernBch

Reaction score
You have to allow sharing on the pc you're connecting to. Normally you can only access the shared folder, if you want access to more, you have to share more. This does have a downside. You can compromise security on your pc if you share too much. Unless there is a way to grant admin rights without sharing.

My DroidX Thrives on the DarkSlide!!

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Used Dropbox at all? I've found it quite wonderful and use it to transfer files back and forth all the time.

Here's my referral link if you want to check it out: http://db.tt/r6ynsb0

OP
jstafford1

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
You have to allow sharing on the pc you're connecting to. Normally you can only access the shared folder, if you want access to more, you have to share more. This does have a downside. You can compromise security on your pc if you share too much. Unless there is a way to grant admin rights without sharing.

My DroidX Thrives on the DarkSlide!!

Good point. I'll leave it as is. Set up a to/from phone folder I can move things back and forth easily from.

Not really interested in dropbox. I know its pretty easy and all but I like the fact I can quickly move things straight to the pc and back.

end of line...

imnotmikal

Reaction score
+1 on trying out Dropbox...

You'll have a Dropbox folder on your computer under your documents, so no "Click Here To Upload" bullcrap, you just drag it as if its a normal folder, because well, it is.

Then you just browse to it in the Dropbox app on your phone...

It's a lot easier than you seem to be making it out.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Not really interested in dropbox.

As suggested, it still may be something you want to take a look at. It's 2 GB of free storage and you can get more by having others "sign up" by your referral (250 mb for both you and the person signing up on top of the 2 GB).

I have my work computer, my home desktop and laptop computer running it as well as my Droid 3, my Gtablet and my wifes Droid 1 and Gtablet. I can just drop a file in it from any location and can then access that file from any of the devices.

You can create folders, share folders out to other dropbox users and it's just all right there. It's a very easy way to share files with your self (multiple devices/computers) and to share with others.

Simple example..I have three android devices (Droid 3, Droid 1 (my dev phone) and a Viewsonic Gtablet) that are all set up pretty close to being identical in looks. I use a particular dock image for launcher pro, use a particular wallpaper app, etc... I drop those files in Dropbox and then on each device I just had to install dropbox and have access to them.

Another (off android example). I'm at work, find something on the net I want, instead of sending myself a link to the location I'll download whatever it is to my Dropbox on my work PC. When I get home...it's sitting in my dropbox on my home PC ready.

PC's are typically set to sync so a 2gb full dropbox will occupy 2gb on your PC's. Mobile devices you have to select the file you want so as not to use all your storage and all your bandwidth syncing...

You can probably tell...I really LIKE dropbox :)