File system

ehaus

Reaction score
I downloaded an mp3 from the Internet on the phone and wanted to use it as a notification sound. I moved the file using File Expert from the Downloads directory to the Notifications directory and it shows that the file moved there. I couldn't see the file in the Notification sounds list and when I plugged the phone into the computer and browsed to the Notifications folder, the file wasn't there but rather still in the Downloads directory. Is there no way to actually move files using a file manager on the phone itself?

jleeusa

Reaction score
Make sure that the folder (notification) is R/W, not R/O. Mine is and I am rooted, I don't know if that's a factor or not. You could always try another file app, Astro or something.

OP
ehaus

ehaus

Reaction score
Astro seems to be having issues with ICS as I can't see the toolbar. The buttons function but since I can't see them, I can't really use them. I haven't rooted and I haven't checked permissions on that directory yet, but once I'm connected to USB I can move the file from within Windows and the file shows up in the notifications list.

Edit: I just checked and I do have R/W permissions on that folder when checked with Astro. Haven't found a way to see those details in File Expert though.

Last edited:

tyseft163

Reaction score
if you cycle power on phone, notifications should show up. that's been working for me using File Manager or USB to PC

OP
ehaus

ehaus

Reaction score
I'll give that a try next time I move a file. It's interesting that when I move the file on phone, it doesn't show up but if I move it using the computer it shows up immediately.