Few Things To Know When Going TO/FROM 2.2

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
few things to know:

--people on 2.2 cannot go back to 2.1 with a restore point in CW. the SBF has to be used. CW will cause the frozen M logo

--there are 2 diff versions of a leaked 2.2. the 2.3.15(second leak) i believe is the same as the OTA in terms of build.

--Clockwork is not the same as the D1 - not a full recovery system. cant switch versions with it. its only partial so messing something up where u get stuck on the M logo has to be fixed with the SBF.

--there are now 2 different SBFs.
this one if you took the 2.2 OTA update
EDIT: this is now the full 2.2 sbf.
http://rootzwiki.com/index.php/Main-Page/Droid-X-Full-2.2-SBF.html
and for users on 2.1 or a leaked 2.2
http://rootzwiki.com/index.php/Smartphones/Motorola/Droid-X/Droid-X.html
(halfway down the page,stock unrooted 2.1)

--the 2.2 on the home page is used for the 2.2 OTA (users on OTA 2.2 who have bootloop errors or M logo freezing.)

--there is no current way to get back to 2.1 once you accept the 2.2 OTA

Heres a guide written by MotoCache1 for using SBFs. Just note that its for teh droid 1 and not the DX so some things wont apply
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/73579-using-rsd-lite-flash-sbf-file-correctly.html

another tip:
accessing the bootloader on the DX is holding volume down and camera button while powering on; recovery is holding home and power on

--while the one when you click the DX section on rootzwiki and go to "go back to stock 2.1" is for leaked 2.2 - using the wrong SBF will cause even more serious issues as seen here:
MyDroidWorld - Droid X Owners: DO NOT SBF BACK TO 2.1 FOR ANY REASON AFTER OFFICIAL UPGRADE TO 2.2

EDIT: the full 2.2 sbf seems to fix these issues. still, dont try to flash the 2.1 sbf once you take the update.

--bootstrap must be used to get CW on the DX. can be found for free on koushs site
My Brain Hurts

heres some common issues ive seen

bootloop after SBF flash:
boot into recovery (hold home and power on) and wipe data and cache

leaked 2.2 to OTA 2.2
--must use 2.1 sbf to get back to stock 2.1 (while wiping in recovery after SBF ) then accept the update.

no service after using SBF:
try *228 but if that doesnt work, call VZW to manually reactivate

REMOVE CLOCKWORK RECOVERY
post here will tell you how to go about doing so.

heres a good way to root 2.2
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html
How to: Root DROID X Running Official Android 2.2 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

does the rageinthecage work for the DX 2.2?

christims guide HERE with the rageinthecage works for DX 2.2 (thanks pc for confirming)

edit 2:
few more questions answered:

I've gotten some pm's from folks asking how to root. I've warned them there isn't a clear way to "undo" once they have the 2.2 OTA. SBF is not the path to stock for 2.2 OTA folks. True? (maybe not anymore due to the second sbf out there.

SBF2 (lets call the second sbf thats used for OTA uses) will get back to stock 2.2 for OTA 2.2 users.

Due to the signing process changing, sbf2 can't be used on pre 2.2 OTA phones just like sbf1 can't be used on post OTA 2.2 phones. True?

SBF2 is for OTA 2.2 users wanting to go back to a clean 2.2 odexed 2.3.15 state and SBF1 (the first one rootzwiki had out) is for leaked 2.2 to go back to 2.1 or just for 2.1 to get a reset phone

They still can root using rageinthecage. Also true?

confirmed working.

One last note: Guys (and gals), please make backups in recovery! itll save you a lot of hassle trying to fix something that didnt go right.

i will be updating this post with more info as other members and mods post..

Last edited:

spider210

Reaction score
So I have the leaked 2.3.9 how do I get the 2.3.15 official? Is their an update.zip available yet to apply?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So I have the leaked 2.3.9 how do I get the 2.3.15 official? Is their an update.zip available yet to apply?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

please fully read my post before posting. you need to go back to 2.1 with the SBF to get the update.

josg21

Reaction score
s there any way to go from leaked 2.2 to OTA 2.2 without wipping ?

tournapart

Reaction score
If I have a rooted 2.1 but have changed nothing is it ok to install the OTA update or should I unroot? also, do you have a link to reliable instructions for unrooting, if I need to? I have seen some stuff, but I used your method to root my 2.1 and trust your write ups

thanks

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
If I have a rooted 2.1 but have changed nothing is it ok to install the OTA update or should I unroot? also, do you have a link to reliable instructions for unrooting, if I need to? I have seen some stuff, but I used your method to root my 2.1 and trust your write ups

thanks

If its completely stock other then root you should be fine to install the OTA 2.2, you will LOSE root though. Once your on 2.2 OTA you can re-root using the method above.

fbm111

Reaction score
I have 2.3.9 and want to go back to 2.1, I know I have to have the 2.1 sbf but which one I don't see a link to the one I need. And it looks like that one linked is for the 2.2 ota. Could you please post link and sorry you have to hold my hand but girlfriends phone and it breaks....well you know how that could go:)

Thanks guys!

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
for the 2.1 SBF check out here.. its about half the page down

Droid X

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Cant push start, why?

It's not seeing your phone

Sent from my phone... which happens to be a Droid X

But it say connected?

What do you mean it says its connected? The bootloader? You need for rsd to see it for it to work. Are you running as admin? Have it in the bootloader? Have the proper drivers installed? Tried changing the device id? Move the flash.ini file?

Those are a few things to check to get rsd to see ur phone

Sent from my phone... which happens to be a Droid X