Fascinate only says "Starting download" in market....help!

fascinated512

Reaction score
I'm rooted and just flashed Super Clean rom from Rom Manager. When I go to update current apps or download new ones, it says "Starting download..." and never stops! After looking this problem up and reading other people's posts who have had similar problems, I've tried clearing all cache and data related to any Google-based app. I've done multiple nandroid backups over the past few weeks and have tried restoring back to them. I've tried factory data reset both from Settings-->Privacy and also from recovery mode in CWM. I've flashed different ROMs to see if it's just Super Clean. None of these things have worked. I'm out of ideas. Someone help!

EDIT: I did an odin restore with the system .tar files I found on XDA and now I'm getting force closes out the wazoo. Can't even get to the activation screen. Anybody know how to fix this????

bwhite757

Reaction score
Nothing against Droid Forums, but XDA is you best bet for help with this.

Nobody has pinpointed the cause of the Market issue yet. Seems to be different for everyone, and unfortunately the fastest way to fix is using ODIN.

This would be my suggestion:

If you have clockworkmod installed, change the name of the update.zip file on the root of your SD card (or delete it) and then boot into the Regular recovery (hold Vol+ & Vol-) and power on the device. Do a Wipe from this recovery.

Now pull the battery, unhook from USB cord, open ODIN on your computer, while holding Vol- plug in the USB cord, this should throw it in download mode, and your computer should recognize it.

Hit the PIT button and choose wherever you downloaded Stock-i500-VZW-pit.pit
Hit the PDA button and choose: Stock-i500-VZW-System.tar.md5
Hit Start

Once that completes:
Unplug the USB cord, hold Vol-, and plug it back in,
Hit the PDA button and choose: Stock-i500-VZW-Kernel.tar.md5
Hit Start

Once that completes:
Unplug the USB cord, hold Vol-, and plug it back in,
Hit the PDA button and choose: Stock-i500-VZW-Recovery.tar.md5
Hit Start

Once that completes:
Put your battery back in and boot into recovery: (Vol+ / Vol-) + Power
Wipe your phone again
Reboot

Should be back to out-of-box condition

Big problem I have with this phone is there is no complete wipe method for it. Clockworkmod doesn't seem to wipe hardly anything on my phone, and it seems to take multiple times in the default recovery to get it to work. Try this and see what happens. Just know you will have to re-root your phone, and reinstall clockworkmod.

revision

Reaction score
I don't know if you find it comforting at all, but i was getting the exact same nonsense in the market on my full stock fascinate. I ended up rooting and loading blackhole yesterday and haven't had to update any apps yet to find out if it works or not.

dangerous

Reaction score
did you try
Try to clear the Market cache (Settings > Application > Manage Application > scroll to and click on Market > click Clear Cache button,)

Reboot...

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking!!

did you try
Try to clear the Market cache (Settings > Application > Manage Application > scroll to and click on Market > click Clear Cache button,)

Reboot...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sometimes, stuff just gets crammed up and needs clearing out. If you ever root and see what gets packed into the dalvik-cache.....WOW!!!

and if it works, it's about as easy as it gets. I had to do that on my Wife's STOCK phone about 3 weeks ago.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

dangerous

Reaction score
Ya.. I have the D X, Rooted.. I just don't want to break her phone. She's happy with it. Problem is, when the stuff stops updating, she had no idea. just figured the stuff wasn't available to download.
I feel bad for all the people who don't know that there is a bug and can't download from the market and just figure that's the way it is.....