Farming Text Messages

NiteCloak

Reaction score
I recently had a rather 'job challenging' conversation via text with a co-worker. My boss, who has viewed the text conversation wants a copy of it.

Its a thread about 20 texts long.

Is there a way to copy these texts in to an email, or download them to a text file or something, without manually having to re-type everything that was written verbatim?

Any ideas much appreciated.

pgreeny

Reaction score
I recently had a rather 'job challenging' conversation via text with a co-worker. My boss, who has viewed the text conversation wants a copy of it.

Its a thread about 20 texts long.

Is there a way to copy these texts in to an email, or download them to a text file or something, without manually having to re-type everything that was written verbatim?

Any ideas much appreciated.

I'm pretty sure if you long press on the body of the text you want you will get options to forward , copy and so on. The only problem is I don't think you can do the whole thread at once. Hope that helps.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

Last edited:

Dave Lister

Reaction score
Download the app SMS Backup and Restore. You can save all your text messages onto your sd card in a human-readable format.

OP
NiteCloak

NiteCloak

Reaction score
Thanks. I will give that a try.

Update:
Ok tried this app but sadly not much use to the likes of me. It saves the data in only one way, as an xml file which even when opened up in a brower, is full of extraneous data and code I do not need, let alone wish to wade through.

Sadly I am not geek enough to know how to write an application to parse an xml file of this nature in to a readable text document that I could print out or email to my boss in a way that he would understand.

On the iPhone, you can multi-select texts, and forward them to an email. Simple. Elegant. Readable. Nice. Sadly this Droid has no such option. The only multi-select option is to delete. I have to say the iPhone's software was very well thought out.

Last edited:

reybie

Reaction score
There is also another SMS backup app that lets you back it up to a gmail account. It gets labeled and saved in the default SMS label. From there, you can pretty much do what you want. No XML conversion needed.