Facebook (build 132866)

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
I had this as a notification on my phone (a red triangle because wifi was off). I have FB and use FB, but I don't have it set to automatically update (I don't have ANY app automatically update). It downloaded when I turned WiFi on. Does anyone know how the heck this just downloaded all by itself? :furious: When I went to the Play Store, there wasn't a update to the app, but it states that I need to UPGRADE NOW (from within the app) to the latest build because "this version is no longer supported".

Can anyone out there is Droid Razr MAXX Land shed some light on this? I can't find anything on Binging this phrase.

Thanks!

YelloEye

Reaction score
Try googling it, might be your problem. ;)

Seriously though, mine has the same notification. Application associated is download manager.

What is this?

dperk

Reaction score
Same here

Same deal on my RAZR MAXX, but I don't know when I'll have time today to hook up to wi-fi... Which, by the way, is supposed to finish that download quickly. So, I suggest you try that.

Last edited:

joedirt2217

Reaction score
Downloaded and installed, was stuck downloading also until I turned on wifi. I do not notice anything new or different. I am wonder why this is being pushed out like this instead of a market update. I did a Google search to see if Facebook or anyone else has announced this update, but didn't find anything other than posts like this one.

I wonder if this update has anything to do in preparation for this....

Facebook News Feed redesign | CNET

YelloEye

Reaction score
Funny thing is my 4g is faster nearly all the time, so why bother with the update on wifi?

OP
StormyHeather

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
OK - so I went ahead and updated. I think that it is pushed this way because it is a system application. I don't see anything new yet, so guess I'll have to see what FB was in an all-fire hurry to get this thing out.

It probably updates over the wifi instead of 4G due to its size (just like Angry Birds or Plants vs Zombies updates - always over wifi, not 4G or 3G). Other than that, not sure.

mcbobie

Reaction score
I can not get rid of the warning icon, when I pull down the status bar and click the notification nothing happens.Its driving me nuts. Bionic running ICS

bocabean

Reaction score
Turn on your wifi and it should immediately update (assuming that you have wifi connectivity)

hackules

Reaction score
Try googling it, might be your problem. ;)

Seriously though, mine has the same notification. Application associated is download manager.

What is this?

He probably did Google it. When I Googled, facebook AND "upgrade now" AND "version is no longer supported", I get 5 results and 4 are not relevant to Facebook. The popup looks kind of hoaky and I cannot imagine that FB would lockout users on the last version. That'd be insane and a support nightmare. I highly doubt it's a legit message, especially since if you just hit home and go into Facebook, it works fine. I don't have an answer, but I'm not feeling that it's very legit. This is happening on a Thunderbolt, btw.

hackules

Reaction score
And forcing WiFi makes no sense if you're on 4G. Also weird that a simple interface to Facebook needs an app so big that it requires WiFi to install. If you look in the Play Store, it says the last update to the Facebook app was on 3-4 weeks ago and the only update notes were, "Change your cover photo right from your timeline" and "Fixed issues with find friends prompt and image loading", not things that should require a mandatory update. The Facebook app itself only takes up 20MB on my RAZR Maxx. Something just doesn't "feel" right about it to me. The girlfriend updated her Thunderbolt and it ran and nothing noticeable changed. Weird, for an update that's so big you have to use WiFi and since it states that you won't be able to continue using the "Facebook app" if you don't upgrade.

Last edited:

hackules

Reaction score
Rumor has it that this is part of an in app update system to avoid the Play Store since Google and Facebook are competitors. I'm still not sold on the idea. Even if it's legit, I'm not sure I like the idea since, unlike the Play Store, there's no disclosures when you install it. You're just assuming that Facebook isn't doing things that we don't like. To mean, even if it's not malware, it's still not cool. Once Facebook has an app on your system that doesn't have to follow the Play Store rules, they have free reign. I think that's it's purposely leaked out that it Facebook is protecting itself from Google, just so that we feel more comfortable installing something to our phones that gives Facebook the ability to spy on us and collect more data than we'd like about us... We'll see what happens I guess.

hackules

Reaction score
My turn... Got it about 5PM EST. I let it install, no noticeable difference. I wish I wouldn't have though because I had "allow unsigned sources" on and if this app didn't come from the Play Store, I'd think that Android should have blocked it's installation. I'd have to think that the majority of people have it off, so I don't know how it's actually getting installed on everyone's machines though.