Extremely frustrated with my S3 - Cant connect to Kies or windows XP

GT Motion

Reaction score
I have had several smart phones, this is the first ever phone that wont just show up as a removable drive in "my computer". I decided to play ball, install Kies and try to connect it that way, all I get is a "connecting" screen on Kies, and on my phone it says "there is no software detected on your PC you have to have windows media player 10 or higher etc".

I installed windows 11, did all of the windows updates, and have tried jumping through hoops to get this to work for almost a month now. I get so frustrated with it I just dont even try after about 15 mins of no results.

I have resorted to uploading pics directly to image shack, then having to save them onto my PC. Its pathetic. What kind of company could be this stupid?

*AFTER A MONTH OF FRUSTRATION, IT WAS DUE TO WIFI BEING ENABLED WHILE TRYING TO CONNECT TO KIES*

Last edited:
OP
G

GT Motion

Reaction score
The problem is back, Wifi is off, it just wont connect. Kies just says "connecting". It says in windows xp that everything is ready to use but I cant access anything and kies keeps getting stuck. This software is horrible...is there a way to get around using Kies and just make my phone a removable disc?

kaylesworth

Reaction score
The problem is back, Wifi is off, it just wont connect. Kies just says "connecting". It says in windows xp that everything is ready to use but I cant access anything and kies keeps getting stuck. This software is horrible...is there a way to get around using Kies and just make my phone a removable disc?

Sounds like you need to install the USB drivers. You can find them here: Support - Verizon Wireless Cell Phones SCH-I535 | Samsung Cell Phones In the Manuals and Downloads tab. After you install them you will be able to access the files/pics in Windows XP. When you connect the SGS3 to your PC's USB port, make sure you are in MTP mode which you can select by pulling down the notification bar and tapping on the USB symbol in the Ongoing section and selecting "Media device". After the PC installs the drivers and you "New hardware is ready to use", on your PC, you will get the typical dialog box with "Open files to view with Windows Explorer". Select that and click OK. You should be good to go then. If you don't get the dialog box after a few seconds (10-15) then unplug the USB cable, wait a few seconds and plug it back in. Sometimes it on the first try Windows hangs loading the driver. Also due to the way the drivers are implemented, the phone and your SD card will show up as Phone and SD Card and not drive letters as they do with Moto devices.