Exchange 2010 "failed to create the account please try again later"

droidghost

Reaction score
I've seen a few threads on this around but nothing addressed my particular problem. Also, some of the threads were old so I thought I'd start a fresh one since this is probably a common issue and others could benefit.

I have a user who has an HTC Droid Eris with Verizon and we have Exchange 2010 SP1.

We have Iphones and other mobile devices working fine using Active Sync. When I attempt to configure Exchange email in the Exchange settings on her phone, I receive the message: "your microsoft exchange server account does not have permission to synchronize with your current settings." After a few more attempts, I got through to the point where it was asking me what to sync (mail, contacts, calendar). I leave all checked and hit Finish. It says it's processing and then after a minute I get this message: "failed to create the account please try again later". I even tried to sync just the mail, just the contacts and just the calendar and the result is the same. No errors in the Exchange server logs related to active sync.

I did some research and found a promising article about Exchange permissions. Telling me to check a box to Allow inheritable permissions for the user on the Exchange Server AD object.

Exchange 2010 Active Sync Issue

Problem is, it was already checked for me.

One part I'm a little unsure of are certificates. If they are a factor here, it doesn't require my intervention on other non-Droid phones. We use a wildcard SSL cert on the server. The active sync virtual directory is set to require ssl.. But I turned that off and unchecked 'require SSL' in the phone's settings.. then turned it back on and checked the 'require SSL' setting on the phone... both configurations yielded the same error messages I mentioned above. Do I need to install the SSL cert on the phone? If so, how would I do that.

Does someone have this configuration working and can offer some advice?

ceconix

Reaction score
Same Challenge

I'm having the same challenge as the OP. The only difference is that I'm running the HTC Sprint Hero with Android 2.1. I have a user here that is using the HTC Sprint Hero with 1.5 and he is not having the problem. I'm guessing this is an Exchange 2010 / Android 2.x challenge. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

OP
D

droidghost

Reaction score
I wasted a lot of time on this. Never found an answer. I ended up buying a Droid App called Touchdown. There is one specifically for Droid 2 software. It's $20. Works flawlessly. Save yourself the headaches :)

ceconix

Reaction score
Not sure I could convince the company to go that route... We have several Android users all having the same basic issue. Thanks for the reply though. I may have to test it out and try to work some magic. :)

OP
D

droidghost

Reaction score
Good luck! If you find an answer, please post it back here.

MrAreCool

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Similar situation here. We upgraded to Exchange 2010 and I have a VP with a Droid Eris that can't connect. I finally stumbled on this last week:
HTC Mobile Phone Support - DROID ERIS by HTC (Verizon) - Connectivity and Internet
The relevant portion seems to be:
You can sync with a Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) or Microsoft Exchange Server 2007. On the All application menu tap Mail. Then, on the Choose a mail provider screen, tap Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. Enter the Exchange ActiveSync account details and then tap Next. Select the type of information you want to synchronize and then tap Finish setup. Note that your corporate Exchange Server must support auto-detect for the phone. Consult your systems administrator.

It sounds like there is no support for 2010???