Excessive Battery Drain

Langer6431

Reaction score
In the past two weeks my phone`s battery has taken a crap all over the place. When it was a couple months old it would typically last two days on one charge with 5 or 6 hours of screen time by the end of day 2. Now I can barely get through the whole day even on mostly wifi. Last night in a matter of 20 minutes it went down from 50% to %30 from just sending a couple text messages alone. The crazy thing is I look under settings and there is nothing out of the ordinary. Screen is right where it should be, Android OS is at 14% and everything else is perfectly normal. I truly don`t get it! I bought the Maxx for battery life. If I didn`t care about battery life I would have gotten a Galaxy Nexus. What do you guys recommend a factory reset or a trip to the Verizon Store?

aarong03

Reaction score
In the past two weeks my phone`s battery has taken a crap all over the place. When it was a couple months old it would typically last two days on one charge with 5 or 6 hours of screen time by the end of day 2. Now I can barely get through the whole day even on mostly wifi. Last night in a matter of 20 minutes it went down from 50% to %30 from just sending a couple text messages alone. The crazy thing is I look under settings and there is nothing out of the ordinary. Screen is right where it should be, Android OS is at 14% and everything else is perfectly normal. I truly don`t get it! I bought the Maxx for battery life. If I didn`t care about battery life I would have gotten a Galaxy Nexus. What do you guys recommend a factory reset or a trip to the Verizon Store?

Have you done battery training for your phone? Sounds like that might need to be done. Foxkat's battery training is a method for calibrating the battery meter itself.

1. Charge phone while off with wall charger to 100%.
2. Then unplug and use phone till you reach 10% and then shutoff phone and charge again with wall charger.
3. Then use phone again. This should help with your battery issue, if there is nothing else running the battery down.

You can find his method here in more detail, but I think I covered the important steps.

aarong03

Reaction score

I found it,

Battery Training information courtesy of "FoxKat", our resident battery guru:

Meter calibration for Droid RAZR & RAZR MAXX;

Power off the phone (press and hold the Power button, then select "Power off" from the pop-up menu).
Plug the Stock Motorola charger into the wall outlet, then plug the Stock Motorola USB Charging cable into the Motorola charger, and finally plug the other end of the cable into the phone.
The phone will boot itself into the "Charge Only" mode. This is identified by first the large Red M logo, followed by a large Battery icon with a "floating" level and percentage of charge in numbers.
After 10 seconds or so, the display will shut off, but the charging continues.
Allow the charger to continue uninterrupted for 3 hours minimum (Droid RAZR), or 5.5 hours minimum (Droid RAZR MAXX). It's OK to allow it to charge overnight in this mode. The charger will shut itself off when the maximum charge has been reached so there is no fear of "overcharging" or damaging the battery/phone.
Once charged to 100%, you may remove the phone from the charger. To check the charge level at any time during charge, briefly tap either volume up or down and release. In about 3 seconds the display will wake and show the charge level, then after 10 seconds or so will shut down again.
After the initial charge to 100% with power off, power up the phone and use normally but pay attention to the battery as it nears the "Low battery" warning (Gingerbread shows at 15%, ICS shows at 10%).
Once the phone displays the "Low battery" warning at 15% (10% ICS), repeat steps 1 through 7.

Now you may use your phone normally. Repeat the above procedure about every 2 months for the Droid RAZR and every 2-3 months for the RAZR MAXX (more often if you are a heavy user, less often for light use).

OP
L

Langer6431

Reaction score
I found it,

Battery Training information courtesy of "FoxKat", our resident battery guru:

Meter calibration for Droid RAZR & RAZR MAXX;

Power off the phone (press and hold the Power button, then select "Power off" from the pop-up menu).
Plug the Stock Motorola charger into the wall outlet, then plug the Stock Motorola USB Charging cable into the Motorola charger, and finally plug the other end of the cable into the phone.
The phone will boot itself into the "Charge Only" mode. This is identified by first the large Red M logo, followed by a large Battery icon with a "floating" level and percentage of charge in numbers.
After 10 seconds or so, the display will shut off, but the charging continues.
Allow the charger to continue uninterrupted for 3 hours minimum (Droid RAZR), or 5.5 hours minimum (Droid RAZR MAXX). It's OK to allow it to charge overnight in this mode. The charger will shut itself off when the maximum charge has been reached so there is no fear of "overcharging" or damaging the battery/phone.
Once charged to 100%, you may remove the phone from the charger. To check the charge level at any time during charge, briefly tap either volume up or down and release. In about 3 seconds the display will wake and show the charge level, then after 10 seconds or so will shut down again.
After the initial charge to 100% with power off, power up the phone and use normally but pay attention to the battery as it nears the "Low battery" warning (Gingerbread shows at 15%, ICS shows at 10%).
Once the phone displays the "Low battery" warning at 15% (10% ICS), repeat steps 1 through 7.

Now you may use your phone normally. Repeat the above procedure about every 2 months for the Droid RAZR and every 2-3 months for the RAZR MAXX (more often if you are a heavy user, less often for light use).

That is what I do every time I charge my phone. I honestly think I have a bad battery.

moset

Reaction score
Just a thought and I think I heard you mostly use WiFi, but has anything changed as for radio signal?
There's an app, Gsam battery monitor that will give you some interesting stats.
Maybe an app is keeping the phone awake?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2