Battery drain

k1601

Reaction score
Anyone noticed excessive battery drain? My abdroid os is sacking down the juice. I'm barely getting a day out of it.
d6b2ef2494c1fceb6e1d0bac1748ef63.jpg

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
You have a bit of a wakelock issue, as shown by the green awake bar not coinciding with the screen bar.

However, I have noticed that with Lollipop, the battery stats now report "Mobile radio awake" which seems to skew the battery usage percentages. Days where I'm mostly on mobile data, Android OS can show around 25% usage with 5 and change hours of "Mobile radio awake." However, my battery life is for the most part the same as if I was on Wi-Fi nearly the entire time.

Clear the app cache in Settings, then boot to recovery and clear the cache partition. That usually resolves things.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
k1601, it looks like there is something that is keeping your phone awake. Try to determine which app or process is causing that. You may discover the culprit. Also, trap on screen on to see how many hours your screen is on, which according to the graph is not much less than awake time. If you haven't been using your phone that much on this charge, it may be also something that is triggering your screen to turn on. Another thing to check is your screen brightness and the activities you are doing on your phone. Streaming, gaming etc will put more drain on your battery.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score
You have a bit of a wakelock issue, as shown by the green awake bar not coinciding with the screen bar.

However, I have noticed that with Lollipop, the battery stats now report "Mobile radio awake" which seems to skew the battery usage percentages. Days where I'm mostly on mobile data, Android OS can show around 25% usage with 5 and change hours of "Mobile radio awake." However, my battery life is for the most part the same as if I was on Wi-Fi nearly the entire time.

Clear the app cache in Settings, then boot to recovery and clear the cache partition. That usually resolves things.
Which app cache are you referring to?

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score
k1601, it looks like there is something that is keeping your phone awake. Try to determine which app or process is causing that. You may discover the culprit. Also, trap on screen on to see how many hours your screen is on, which according to the graph is not much less than awake time. If you haven't been using your phone that much on this charge, it may be also something that is triggering your screen to turn on. Another thing to check is your screen brightness and the activities you are doing on your phone. Streaming, gaming etc will put more drain on your battery.

I'm trying to figure out which apps I've downloaded since the issue. Then again I'm not sure when it really started.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2

The way they show stats now, makes it really hard to tell in some cases..I notice g Sam kinda goes back n forth on it..or they did back in kit kat..

I agree..boot into recovery and clear the cache..

Clearing the cache for the droid turbo | Android Forum at DroidForums.net
Clearing the cache for the droid turbo

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've had wakelock issues in the past and folks always say "Figure out which app it is and uninstall it". My question always is: How the heck can you figure out what app it is??? I've gotten it fixed in the past by getting rid of some apps that I think it might possibly be and clearing the cache, but I think it was just luck on my part to get it fixed.
Start with clearing the cache as has been said and see how that works.

Any good suggestions from folks to figure out what app might be causing wakelock problems besides just trial and error?

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
I've had wakelock issues in the past and folks always say "Figure out which app it is and uninstall it". My question always is: How the heck can you figure out what app it is??? I've gotten it fixed in the past by getting rid of some apps that I think it might possibly be and clearing the cache, but I think it was just luck on my part to get it fixed.
Start with clearing the cache as has been said and see how that works.

Any good suggestions from folks to figure out what app might be causing wakelock problems besides just trial and error?
For the most part, look at the graph and compare the Awake bar to the Screen bar. If the Awake bar doesn't look similar to the Screen bar, you have something holding your phone awake.

Then use the individual entries on the main battery page and go into each one, looking at their Keep awake times. Aside from Android OS, generally none of them should be near or in the hours, with the exception of apps that are supposed to run in the background, like music apps, etc. It's also usually one of the apps that are higher up on the list.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks Woodstock! :) That's pretty much what I have done in the past. I didn't know if there was a better way of finding the culprit or not. For me it has usually been an android OS issue keeping it awake and a cache clear seems to help.

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score
9bde870b8acdf8d93f0bd4409884855e.jpg

OK new question. I went to sleep about midnight, and don't have my charger with me. Why the extreme sudden drop in battery in the middle of the night. What app could cause this to happen, even though I didn't wake up the phone. No music was playing, or anything else like that that I can think of. Any ideas?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Very interesting. The was something at that time that kept your phone awake. Do you have a setting on an app set to perform an action at approximately 1 or 2am? Maybe an app is set to perform a backup at that time? Cloud services performing a scan and backup?

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
9bde870b8acdf8d93f0bd4409884855e.jpg

OK new question. I went to sleep about midnight, and don't have my charger with me. Why the extreme sudden drop in battery in the middle of the night. What app could cause this to happen, even though I didn't wake up the phone. No music was playing, or anything else like that that I can think of. Any ideas?
There was a maybe 45 minutes to 1 hour held awake time right around the start of the rapid discharge.

Can you post screenshots of the battery usage percentages screen, as well as tapping the entries (first few up top) so I can see what those big battery users held your phone awake?

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score
There was a maybe 45 minutes to 1 hour held awake time right around the start of the rapid discharge.

Can you post screenshots of the battery usage percentages screen, as well as tapping the entries (first few up top) so I can see what those big battery users held your phone awake?
bd60d7abbb10f0e45ca5069385683981.jpg

190f725d6234abda7c781bb45b8fa929.jpg

dd210687e77e30738b9be5a0bd51dd96.jpg

abf1a4337f46c60faa34350ec13ab75c.jpg

1358a12a02d92209b3586e3ba9c8b8a3.jpg

Here's the top few users. I don't remember setting anything to run at that time, but I'll go through and check.