Eric Schmidt Claims YouTube Already Displacing Traditional TV

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
youtube-logo.png

Google's Chairman Eric Schmidt had some bold claims about YouTube recently at a presentation to advertisers in New York. Schmidt shared the opinion that YouTube has already displaced traditional TV. He shared the fact that YouTube recently cleared the milestone of over 1 Billion unique visitors every month. To be fair, he did elaborate a bit further to clarify his point, sharing,

"It's not a replacement for something that we know," said Schmidt. "It's a new thing that we have to think about, to program, to curate and build new platforms."

Robert Kyncl, YouTube's global head of content, also shared "I thought that YouTube was like TV, but it isn't. I was wrong. TV is one-way. YouTube talks back."

Some statistics were shared that were a bit eye-opening as well... more 18- to 34-year-olds watch YouTube than any cable network.

Kyncl added, "TV means reach. YouTube means engagement."

Additionally, DreamWorks CEO Jeffery Katzenberg contributed this statement, "This is a whole new form of content, content delivery and content consumption. It's the medium of the future and the future has already arrived."

What do you guys think? Is YouTube really that much of a game-changer, or is this just marketing double-speak?

Source: Associated Press

Briankbl

Reaction score
I'm subscribed to so many different channels, I always have something new to watch that actually interests me. Many companies are taking up YouTube as their primary form of distribution. Revision 3 is a prime example. Then you have sites like Gametrailers using YouTube to upload a bunch of their content, as well.

It's gotten to a point where I only need to visit two websites to fulfill all of my media needs: YouTube and GiantBomb. YouTube for all of my news, music, gaming related videos and a host of other things. GiantBomb for their subscriber content that they don't upload to YouTube.

The only thing I really watch on regular tv anymore is live sporting events.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2!

Briankbl

Reaction score
what kind of news does one get on youtube?

Associated Press, ABC/NBC, Young Turks, tech/gaming news via Revision 3, Phonedog, etc.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2!

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I find myself for a little while here and there, but mostly just for music, both listening and technical vids as well. There's just so much content on there that it becomes difficult to find quality and anything worth constantly returning to.

It's also going to be a long time before YouTube starts bringing original content the quality of Game of Thrones, Southland, The Walking Dead, and other series that I watch regularly. YouTube won't be my go to source for a while I'm quite sure.