Enable Airplane Mode For Faster Charging.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

A tip that has been circulating the web here recently for charging your phone faster is to place the phone in airplane mode. The reason this seems to be a good idea is because your wifi and cellular radios burn battery as they constantly search for signal. Every time your phone grabs notifications it is burning through battery. The idea is that if you prevent your phone from burning this extra battery your phone should charge faster.

Cnet put this idea to the test in a recent video. The outcome is not really what you were probably hoping to see. It turns out that putting your phone in Airplane mode while charging really will increase the speed at which it charges. In their test the phone in airplane mode charged 4 minutes faster. I know that time is money, but in my opinion a few hours of not being able to receive notifications is not worth the 4 extra minutes saved.

via CNET

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Even faster if you turn off and charge.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
But if your device has qi..it powers back on when you place it on the charger...

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
What about fast charging? I mean, My Note 5 can get a lot of battery life in 15 minutes, if that could shave off 4 minutes as well, it would be worth it if you are in a rush.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I didn't think this was new info. Years ago, when I kept my phone in a metal locker at work, I noticed that the battery would die super quick. I started turning on airplane mode to keep it from searching for signal while it was locked in what almost amounted to a Faraday cage and the issue stopped.

The benefit of using airplane mode over turning it off, especially if you're trying to get as much juice as you can in a hurry is that it takes far less time for the radios to come back on when you turn airplane mode off than it does for the entire phone to boot up.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Interesting. I never knew that.
My maxx and my turbo both do..so I should say...moto devices with qi appear to turn back on when placed on a charging pad..

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
What about fast charging? I mean, My Note 5 can get a lot of battery life in 15 minutes, if that could shave off 4 minutes as well, it would be worth it if you are in a rush.
Fast charging works while powered off or with airplane mode on...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I didn't think this was new info. Years ago, when I kept my phone in a metal locker at work, I noticed that the battery would die super quick. I started turning on airplane mode to keep it from searching for signal while it was locked in what almost amounted to a Faraday cage and the issue stopped.

The benefit of using airplane mode over turning it off, especially if you're trying to get as much juice as you can in a hurry is that it takes far less time for the radios to come back on when you turn airplane mode off than it does for the entire phone to boot up.
I use airplane mode when I travel out of the country. I can then turn on wifi if I need data. My Bionic lasted all week in Mexico on Airplane mode.

My maxx and my turbo both do..so I should say...moto devices with qi appear to turn back on when placed on a charging pad..
I tried my Maxx last night. It came back on.

jplemt

Reaction score
The GS6 does not fully power on when wirelessly charging. It goes into the "charging" mode as if it was plugged in.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk