Email and Calendar suggestions?

Snacko

Reaction score
I have been using MS Office 2002 for, well a long time now. But since I now have this fancy new Droid Incredible, it seems like I should be using some Email & Calendar that I can run on my pc desktop (not browser) and also sync it with my droid.

I know the most obvious suggestion will probably be Google's gmail and their Calendar. But I like some of the features of the software that runs on my desktop (not the browser). For instance, I have Outlook automatically check my email every 5 minutes and alert me. Can browser email do this somehow? Same with the Calendar.. I schedule alerts for events, and have them popup and I can snooze them. If I don't have a browser running I will never get email or calendar alerts.

Maybe there are some tools I can use in conjunction with gmail and their calendar?

Axel

Reaction score
There's an official GMail notifier app that just pops up in the lower-left corner when you have new messages (with a brief preview of the messages), and many unofficial apps with more features.

I don't know about seperate applications for Google Calendar, since I just use it for reference, not for reminders, but you can tell it to notify you a specific amount of time before-hand via email, text, or pop-up (the last only works if you have the calendar open in a browser at the time). You can add multiple notifications to an event as well. It may be possible to automatically sync a google calendar with outlook, so that you have desktop notifs like you have now, but can add or edit events from google calendar. I haven't really looked into that.

crasgar

Reaction score
If you use Gmail and Google calendar, you can use Mozilla Thunderbird on your PC the same as Outlook. There is an add-on you can download which syncs the Thunderbird calendar with Google calendars.

OP
S

Snacko

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

@harrellj: I cannot use the Outlook to Google Sync because it doesn't support Outlook 2002.

I tried syncing with VueMinder, (which is a fantastic calendar) I think. But when it pulls the Google Calendar down it does not turn on the Alerts for some reason. It has the little icon indicating the Alert is on, but in the details of the event it is off and does not appear.

So, now I am trying Mozilla Thunderbird and Lightning. Lightning seems great. It will push or pull events to and from the Google Calendar. So, I can setup events in Lightning with alerts, push them to Google Calendar, and then get them on my Droid I. So far that is working ok.

Thanks again..

harrellj

Reaction score
Cool. I use Thunderbird myself and love it, but thought I'd offer something that you're already used to.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk