Education

Jaeger

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I am a fairly new X owner and new to smartphones in general. I have no programming background.
I rooted my phone with easy root to take advantage of wifi tether. I also installed autostarts and autokiller and followed the instructions on how to set them up. Between that and launcher pro my X is running beautifully.
I would like to be able to get up to speed and learn the basics of what I need to know to be able to use root access to it's fullest potential. I don't want to be developer, just a user. When 2.2 finally comes OTA I would like to be able to maintain root and my current state of tune, if nothing else.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
HoWdy Jaeger :D You've done about all a person can do with the X until the bootloader is cracked. I think there's some themes you can apply and remove some of the bloatware if you haven't already. I suggest you remove the autokiller. Those do more harm than good. Android has it's own method of starting and stopping apps. I'm glad using easy root went well for you! You got lucky :D

OP
J

Jaeger

Reaction score
As I understand it, Autokiller is more a method of tweaking android's management system than it is a task killer. Right now I'm not changing anything. Right now this thing is running like it should have when it was delivered. Smooth, fast and lag free.

I think what I am looking for is a place to go to learn more about the mechanics of what is going on inside the systems. I read the threads on upgrading to 2.2 but didn't know what the heck they were talking about so I didn't mess with it. I just read one on low quadrant scores and how to fix it. Not only do I not understand how to fix it but I don't know what a quadrant score is. There has to be a resource available to learn this stuff.

fwaggle

Reaction score
To my knowledge, the issue with task killers is that if it's a commonly used app, Android will just pre-load it again anyway. If an app hasn't been used in a while, Android will kill it off if the RAM is needed for something else. If the App is using CPU time in the background and it shouldn't, it's a garbage app and the solution is to find a better app, not use a task killer to keep it under control.

RAM takes the same amount of electricity to keep something in memory as it does to keep a bunch of empty space. Keeping a commonly used app in RAM will improve it's startup time and cost less battery to start - RAM that's not being used is being wasted. You're not freeing up any RAM or CPU time using the task killer, just spending more fighting with Android over stopping/starting apps.

Task killers are the Android equivalent of a chef cooking in a kitchen, and the bus boy coming in and shifting pots around to "optimize" things.

BTW if you want to learn about the mechanics of Android, there are two methods of attack - pick one or both. 1) Learn Linux (as that's the core of Android in everything but the userspace); 2) Learn to program Android apps (as the dalvik vm is the userspace).

OP
J

Jaeger

Reaction score
Ok. I understand what you are saying. I do have a dedicated app killer. Maybe I'll take another look at that. I set my phone up according to the guidelines in the"keeping your x running snappy"thread. Prior to that I would hover around 45 to 50 of free memory. now if I drop to 90 its rare and the difference in the phones behavior is noticeable.

soba1

Reaction score
I reccomend waiting til u have 2.2 before applying any themes though.....

OP
J

Jaeger

Reaction score
Which brings us back to my original question. I wouldn't know how to install a theme. Where do you learn to do this stuff?

scf

Reaction score
click on the stickies and read the directions.
Then, read the directions.
Then, ask some questions that are obviously IN the directions.
Beg forgiveness for not paying attention.
Re-read the directions.
Ask some poinant questions.
Then, and ONLY then, try the install.
Ask questions again, that were clearly spelled out in the directions.
Smack your forehead.
Ask more questions, now bein the learned one.
Apply said knowledge.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Oh wait..that was how *I* did it....

Honestly...ask questions..PLENTY of questions. Whether you get badgered for asking the question that has been answered over and over again, or pointed to the search button, or you get the ever humiliating "let me google that for you" link. Honestly, I google alot of information, as there are a number of information facilities out here in cyberspace.

Good luck!

Pssstttt - btw...there are more than just gentlemen on here. Corina rocks!

OP
J

Jaeger

Reaction score
Very good. My apologies to the ladies.