EasyTether app question

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by FootballRef, Apr 2, 2010.

1. FootballRef

FootballRef New Member

Do I need to worry about how much data I use with the EasyTether app? :motdroidhoriz: Anything else to worry about while running this app?

TIA
  2. FootballRef

FootballRef New Member

All I will be doing with it is surfing the internet. Anything to worry about?

Is this app good for this or should I get another?
  3. iPirate

iPirate New Member

Why do some apps require root and others dont? Don't want to derail just looking for answers related to tethering.
  4. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

Well verizon does not officially support tethering on the Droid but I am not sure how they police something like this.
    I have not heard of anyone getting hammered for tethering but as always use at your own risk.
    So far easy tether works great for me.:)
  5. HUFFDROID

HUFFDROID New Member

Noon question but how does tethering work?
  6. FootballRef

FootballRef New Member

You connect your phone to your computer and then use your computer to access the internet through your phone.
  7. HUFFDROID

HUFFDROID New Member

Can I connect my phone to a ps3 and get online?
  8. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

Technically, yes. Your Droid simply becomes a broadband modem connected to a 3G network. However, the performance (probably much slower than a good wifi connection) is likely to be unacceptable. Furthermore, like streaming movies to your computer through your Droid, you are now using much more bandwidth than would normally be expected for a phone. Thus, your usage is more likely to come to the attention of Verizon.

I'm sure that few folks actually read their service agreements with Verizon, but you should understand that it is written in such a way that Verizon is more or less free to discontinue service to your phone for virtually any reason they deem sufficient. If they determine that you are using the phone in a manner proscribed by the service agreement you have little room to argue. You can pay an additional fee that they "suggest," or you can give up your service.
  9. choklitcow

choklitcow New Member

This. Verizon also offers tethering service, so when caught people have been charged those rates.

That being said, however, purely through my own observation on forums the only people who have actually been caught at this time have been people who have used substantially large amounts of data while tethering. Surprisingly, online gaming does not use that large of data. For example I was just testing out my laptop during a storm with World of Warcraft and only used ~1mb of data in about 5 minutes of playing.

As long as you are just occasionally surfing the web/casually checking email, etc you should be fine. Its when large downloads come into play that you increase the chance to raise a "red flag" on your account.

I don't want to put you at ease with this though, as you use it at your own risk. it is against your tos.
  10. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

I live out in the boonies and when testing tethering I was getting roughly a 1.5mb connection. Nice a smooth browsing the web and the video test was flawless.
    In some areas with weak signals I am sure it is slower.
  11. utplaya1

utplaya1 New Member

internet mins

Does this app use the internet minutes on the droid, or the hero (Which I am using)?
Search tags for this page
does easy tether use data
does easy tether use data on phone?
does easy tether use my data
does easy tether use my data?

does easytether use data

does easytether use your data
does easytethering constantly use data?
does the easy tether app work for ps3?
easy teather data usage
easy tether data usage
easy tether ps3