EasyTether app question

FootballRef

Reaction score
Do I need to worry about how much data I use with the EasyTether app? :motdroidhoriz: Anything else to worry about while running this app?

TIA

OP
FootballRef

FootballRef

Reaction score
All I will be doing with it is surfing the internet. Anything to worry about?

Is this app good for this or should I get another?

iPirate

Reaction score
Why do some apps require root and others dont? Don't want to derail just looking for answers related to tethering.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can I connect my phone to a ps3 and get online?

Technically, yes. Your Droid simply becomes a broadband modem connected to a 3G network. However, the performance (probably much slower than a good wifi connection) is likely to be unacceptable. Furthermore, like streaming movies to your computer through your Droid, you are now using much more bandwidth than would normally be expected for a phone. Thus, your usage is more likely to come to the attention of Verizon.

I'm sure that few folks actually read their service agreements with Verizon, but you should understand that it is written in such a way that Verizon is more or less free to discontinue service to your phone for virtually any reason they deem sufficient. If they determine that you are using the phone in a manner proscribed by the service agreement you have little room to argue. You can pay an additional fee that they "suggest," or you can give up your service.

choklitcow

Reaction score
Can I connect my phone to a ps3 and get online?

I'm sure that few folks actually read their service agreements with Verizon, but you should understand that it is written in such a way that Verizon is more or less free to discontinue service to your phone for virtually any reason they deem sufficient. If they determine that you are using the phone in a manner proscribed by the service agreement you have little room to argue. You can pay an additional fee that they "suggest," or you can give up your service.

This. Verizon also offers tethering service, so when caught people have been charged those rates.

That being said, however, purely through my own observation on forums the only people who have actually been caught at this time have been people who have used substantially large amounts of data while tethering. Surprisingly, online gaming does not use that large of data. For example I was just testing out my laptop during a storm with World of Warcraft and only used ~1mb of data in about 5 minutes of playing.

As long as you are just occasionally surfing the web/casually checking email, etc you should be fine. Its when large downloads come into play that you increase the chance to raise a "red flag" on your account.

I don't want to put you at ease with this though, as you use it at your own risk. it is against your tos.

utplaya1

Reaction score
internet mins

Does this app use the internet minutes on the droid, or the hero (Which I am using)?