DX OTA problems with autorotate?

AzJazz

Reaction score
My wife's DX has always been "stock". A few days ago, we installed the OTA update.

Since then, my wife has complained a numerous times about problems where she sees the screen go into Landscape mode, even though she is holding the phone in Portrait mode. She will usually see this occur when she is starting an app from the Home screen, holding the phone in Portrait, but the app first appears in Landscape. The display will generally correct itself after a few seconds, or if she moves the DX around a bit.

Anybody else seeing this?

AzJazz

cygnusloop

Reaction score
Calibrate the compass. This has helped several people with this exact issue. Even if it was calibrated on 2.1. Also, if you have a compass app installed, uninstall it and reboot before calibration. This has been discussed at length on another forum. It appears calibrate compass is really more like calibrate accelerometers.

OP
AzJazz

AzJazz

Reaction score
Calibrate the compass. This has helped several people with this exact issue. Even if it was calibrated on 2.1. Also, if you have a compass app installed, uninstall it and reboot before calibration. This has been discussed at length on another forum. It appears calibrate compass is really more like calibrate accelerometers.

Thanks for the idea, cygnusloop! But, now I've tried calibrating the compass, and it never turns green, just red.

Is there a trick to compass calibration?

AzJazz

cygnusloop

Reaction score

Thanks for the idea, cygnusloop! But, now I've tried calibrating the compass, and it never turns green, just red.

AzJazz

Go slow. Try to rotate around a single point, making sure to rotate in both directions. And again, make sure the compass app is not installed. Could take a few tries.

OP
AzJazz

AzJazz

Reaction score

AzJazz

Go slow. Try to rotate around a single point, making sure to rotate in both directions. And again, make sure the compass app is not installed. Could take a few tries.

After attempting about 3 dozen calibrations before now (actually, more), I was finally able to successfully calibrate the compass after pulling the battery for 30 seconds.

Since the compass was so hard to calibrate before yanking the battery, I'm willing to bet that the sensors were whacked out until the battery was removed.

I've got high expectations that this will solve the Landscape/Portrait mode issue.

Last edited: