DVD Catalyst Settings for Droid 3

mrtoto54660

Reaction score
Can someone inform me what settings work for the Droid 3 on DVD Catalyst 4? I dont want to convert my movies until I know what setting is the best for it. I will be receiving my Droid 3 tomorrow and want to swap my movies from the Droid X Settings to the Droid 3.

Thanks

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If there is a setting for the Droid X2 use that, as it had the same pixel ratio as the Droid 3 960x540.
I havent updated my DVD catalyst in quite some time.

D

dvdcatalyst

DVD Catalyst & Droid 3

Can someone inform me what settings work for the Droid 3 on DVD Catalyst 4? I dont want to convert my movies until I know what setting is the best for it. I will be receiving my Droid 3 tomorrow and want to swap my movies from the Droid X Settings to the Droid 3.

Thanks

If you are using 4.0.2.7, just select the Xoom profile, and in "Modify" change the screen resolution to 960x540

Otherwise, update to DVD Catalyst 4.1 Beta (RC2), which has profiles for the Droid 3, as well as most other newly released Android devices:

DVD Catalyst 4 v4.1 RC2 Release Notes | DVD Catalyst 4, the ultimate app for movies & tv on the go

To update to DVD Catalyst 4 v4.1 RC2, enable “Power User”, then in Global Settings > Version info, click on the Beta button.

technogeek00

Reaction score
I actually just went on a trip and needed some movies to watch so I ripped some of my blu-rays with ripbot264 at full resolution into mp4s, they are around 2gb each but play flawlessly on the phone.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Tepes

Reaction score
I actually went and grabbed the free dvd catalyst DX converter and have been really happy with how my movies turned out. I would also suggest buying their movie gallery app from the market. Best way to look through your movies on your phone and has a built in player that has played my movies and shows better than any other.

Sent from my Hitchhiker's Guide mark 2

AZDroid09

Reaction score
I purchased DVD Catalyst 4, updated to the beta, chose Droid 3 as my device and started the conversion. It was going to take a couple hours so I went to bed. Next morning I hooked up my Droid and loaded it on, video can't play. I also tried playing it on my computer but it says Quicktime can't play it either. I did not change any settings, thought it would automatically do what is best for the Droid 3 since that's the device I specified the conversion for. What went wrong?

I had previously used the free version for my old Droid 1 and I put one of those saved converted videos on my D3 and it plays fine. What am I missing?

D

dvdcatalyst

I purchased DVD Catalyst 4, updated to the beta, chose Droid 3 as my device and started the conversion. It was going to take a couple hours so I went to bed. Next morning I hooked up my Droid and loaded it on, video can't play. I also tried playing it on my computer but it says Quicktime can't play it either. I did not change any settings, thought it would automatically do what is best for the Droid 3 since that's the device I specified the conversion for. What went wrong?

I had previously used the free version for my old Droid 1 and I put one of those saved converted videos on my D3 and it plays fine. What am I missing?

I'm not sure. The settings for the D3 in the beta work fine. Maybe something caused the conversion to fail?

What DVD did you convert?

AZDroid09

Reaction score
The DVD I converted was The Switch, I'm trying a different one now in case it was an issue with that particular DVD, will post back with results on that one later once it finally finishes, for some reason this second one is really slow, only 0.64x speed :blink:

D

dvdcatalyst

The DVD I converted was The Switch, I'm trying a different one now in case it was an issue with that particular DVD, will post back with results on that one later once it finally finishes, for some reason this second one is really slow, only 0.64x speed :blink:

DVD Catalyst has a few different ways of accessing a DVD. By default it uses the fastest possible access mode, but some DVDs don't like that, so DVD Catalyst switches to a slower, more reliable conversion mode so the DVD still gets converted.

AZDroid09

Reaction score
Same thing with this movie, New In Town, won't play on my laptop because it is not a file QuickTime understands. A lot of freaking hours wasted here, guess I should have stuck with the old free version. Do you have a suggestion for getting it working? Should I go back to the purchased non beta version? Or should I go back to the free version and request a refund? My laptop is running Vista 64 if that info is helpful :mad:

D

dvdcatalyst

Same thing with this movie, New In Town, won't play on my laptop because it is not a file QuickTime understands. A lot of freaking hours wasted here, guess I should have stuck with the old free version. Do you have a suggestion for getting it working? Should I go back to the purchased non beta version? Or should I go back to the free version and request a refund? My laptop is running Vista 64 if that info is helpful :mad:

It could be the beta version that is causing the complications you are experiencing, however, I have been using the beta for most of my own conversions without any issues whatsoever.

Maybe something didn't go well when you upgraded to the beta. While it shouldn't, it could be that a setting accidentally got changed.

* Make sure DVD Catalyst is not running
*Click on "START" > "RUN" (or hold down the windows-key on your keyboard and tap the "R" key)
*In the run dialog, type in:

%appdata%

and click OK

*delete the "DVD Catalyst 4" folder

This will reset DVD Catalyst to it's defaults, and will take care of most possible issues.

After that, start DVD Cat, select the Droid3 profile and start a conversion. When it gets a few minutes into the conversion, tap the "skip" button, and see if the created file plays in Quicktime (saves waiting for the entire conversion to complete)

howzball

Reaction score
Is there some magic trick to convert .avchd/.mts files with DVDCatalyst?
I've been trying to use it to convert the videos from my digital camcorder to something playable by the Android devices but all I get are empty .mp4 files out of DVDcatalyst.

It looks and acts like it's doing the conversion but the files are always 0 bytes in size.

D

dvdcatalyst

Is there some magic trick to convert .avchd/.mts files with DVDCatalyst?
I've been trying to use it to convert the videos from my digital camcorder to something playable by the Android devices but all I get are empty .mp4 files out of DVDcatalyst.

It looks and acts like it's doing the conversion but the files are always 0 bytes in size.

Update to the latest beta, which supports the audio formats often used in avchd. The current conversion engine doesn't like those too much.

DVD Catalyst 4 v4.1 RC3 Release Notes | DVD Catalyst 4, the ultimate app for movies & tv on the go

AZDroid09

Reaction score

It could be the beta version that is causing the complications you are experiencing, however, I have been using the beta for most of my own conversions without any issues whatsoever.

Maybe something didn't go well when you upgraded to the beta. While it shouldn't, it could be that a setting accidentally got changed.

* Make sure DVD Catalyst is not running
*Click on "START" > "RUN" (or hold down the windows-key on your keyboard and tap the "R" key)
*In the run dialog, type in:

%appdata%

and click OK

*delete the "DVD Catalyst 4" folder

This will reset DVD Catalyst to it's defaults, and will take care of most possible issues.

After that, start DVD Cat, select the Droid3 profile and start a conversion. When it gets a few minutes into the conversion, tap the "skip" button, and see if the created file plays in Quicktime (saves waiting for the entire conversion to complete)

Thanks, I did that and restarted my computer then tried again and it worked. Thanks for the support, I was getting frustrated.

howzball

Reaction score
Thanks
The beta version seems to output a playable file although audio is out of sync pretty far and about 2 minutes shorter than the video.

In MediaInfo the video file is 4 min and 52 seconds long, the audio is 2 min 42 seconds long.
Maybe the audio in these types of files is still throwing DVDcatalyst a curve.