Duplicate text messages

Jeff726

Reaction score
Periodically I get my text messaged duplicated. The same message comes in 2 times, usually at the same time. Does anyone else have this? Is it a known issue?

Serpico

DF News Team
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ANDRAC.co
Same here - I will get duplicate SMS messages every once in a while. I have also been told I am sending duplicates on occasion.

I think this happens when an SMS is incoming and outgoing at the exact same time (which can occur during a busy conversation) - since you can't send and receive simultaneously the OS appears to attempt to reprocess the message that didn't receive priority - and appears to end up duplicating the message somehow. Maybe it queues it and then "resends" it - thus duplicating??

I don't know - simply a guess based on an observation that I seem to get duplicates when I am told my delivery failed "would you like to retry sending".

srothkin

Reaction score
I had it happen but only on messages text messages from NYAlert (all other sources were/are fine). NYAlert insists they're not sending duplicates.

Ultimately I resolved the issue by configuring NYAlert to send me email notifications (which have more detail anyway) instead of text messages. Thanks to Gmail push notification, this is as good as text for quick pokes ;)

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i think this is more an issue people have with verizon and not just the droid

Reaction score
The only time I recieve double messages are when they are sent from an email account. Like at work our supervisors send out emails to go to our alpha pagers, but I reconfigured mine just to send it to my phone because I hate to wear my pager on my day off.

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get two when my wife sends me a text. One shows up as coming from the contact name I set in my phone, and the other comes as her phone number. But when I go and look at my history it only shows the the threads with her contact name. It's strange when I look and it says I have multiple texts only to have one as a dup, but at least it isn't saving both.

naman919

Reaction score
I have constant issues with sending duplicates. I seem to send the same text twice (immediately) almost 25% of the time. Doesn't depend on ROM either.

I'm assuming this is a verizon thing?

Also, just had one come in THREE times (all at once) from my girlfriend who has a 5 year old flip phone.

whaaaaaaaaaaa......?

LPGirl

Reaction score
Just recently I'm having issues with texting, everyone I text gets duplicate text messages from me. I've also noticed my text messages that I receive will freeze up and I won't get them till hours later. This only started happening ever since I had a hard reboot due to low on storage space on the phone, not sure if that had anything to do with it. I've had my Incredible for almost 2yrs and love the phone not looking to get another just yet is there anything that I can do to fix the problem?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Have you tried shutting it off and pulling the battery? If that doesnt work, a factory reset may do the trick.

PhoebeAnn

Reaction score
I have the inverse problem -- I receive duplicate texts. Most I've seen has been a total of 4 messages, and that seems to be the most common, but I have seen anywhere from 1 to 3 duplicates. Happens fairly often from an alarm service sending me alert notifications. The service has checked with their ISP, and they assure them that they're sending only one message. These alerts are also sent via e-mail, and I receive (correctly) only one copy.

I see a similar problem with regular e-mail, mostly from one sender. He runs his own sendmail server, and has sent me logs showing:

...four "bad acknowledgement" deferrals by relay.verizon.net, that apparently actually did receive and forward the message anyway; followed by the fifth "normal" message acceptance.

Now I have 2 questions:

(1) How do I find someone within Verizon who knows and cares about something like this, and can maybe fix it?
-and-
(2) Are similar logs and diagnostics available for SMS servers, and if so, see (1).

Actually, there's a 3rd question:

(3) Am I being charged for the duplicate texts?

Last edited:

LPGirl

Reaction score
factory rest

Yes I've tried the battery trick. Can I do the factory reset or is it something I have take into the verizon store and have them do it?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Yes I've tried the battery trick. Can I do the factory reset or is it something I have take into the verizon store and have them do it?

You can do the reset, it's under settings on your phone. Now it will wipe the phone clean (not your sd card) and will appear as out of the box new. So you will have to set everything up again.