Dual D2 Family

bascherz

Reaction score
Hi folks. My wife and I got our Droid 2 phones in Nov 2010, shortly after which the Droid 2 Global seemed to replace it in Verizon's line-up. I previously had an HTC Eris and she had a Droid (1). The Eris was a great phone but very, very slow. I loved the HTC Sense UI. The D1 was also a great phone. The only reason we now have two Droid 2's is that Verizon had a BOGO offer when both my kids' lines were eligible for upgrades. I got my D2 for $200 with a $100 Moto rebate and Verizon's usual $50 contribution. The second D2 was free, so why not...Right? Then I discovered the trade-in on the Eris was $132 (wow!!!). So I ended up getting both phones and some money back, which I used toward accessories for my D2. Deals like that are gone, but we love our phones.

I was an embedded software engineer for the first 30 years of my career, so I like to tinker. There were a couple things about the D2 software that bugged me after Verizon's push of GB 2.3.3. Wireless tethering was no longer possible like it was with the Eris, and there was substantial bloatware that could not be removed. The phone was rather sluggish, probably due to memory being filled with a lot of stuff I didn't need.

A friend of mine showed me how he rooted his D1 and another friend at work wanted a faster phone, so I introduced them to each other. Now the friend at work is always showing off what his re-ROMed phone can do. That led me to thinking... If I have to wait another year+ to go to one of those new super-fast 4G phones, I want this phone to perform at the top of its game. My wife is not interested.

It's great to be here among like-minded folks!

Ciao,
Bruce

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to DF!! Great introduction thread and we are happy to have you here with us!!

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
:welcome: , Bruce. Make yourself at home and feel free to join in. Glad you joined us.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

OP
B

bascherz

Reaction score
Thanks guys... trying to figure out which SBF file will get me going in the right direction. Currently running Liquid 3.0 and want to get back to stock rooted. Here's what I've tried so far. Someone told me to just Google "Droid 2 SBF", so I did...

After a half hour of clicking links Google found and encountering nothing but broken links and more people in the same situation I'm in, I found this link: http://iamthewalcs.com which ultimately led me to this page (very slow site): http://iamthewalcs.com/Files.php?dir=SBF+Files+and+Update+files/SBF+File/ where the SBF files were all located. Found Droid 2 2.3.2 SBF, which I certainly HOPE is what I need since it is the only Droid 2 (not Global) SBF file there.

Is this the right SBF file? Is this the only place to get SBF files? I should perhaps start a new thread... tough to find existing threads with such a general search term as "Droid 2 SBF". Waaay too many threads to sift through and lots have broken links.

Thanks!

Bruce