dropped phone: better case + insurance question

toomanyhandles

Reaction score
So, I dropped the D2G 3 weeks after purchase. Coincidentally, I signed up for the insurance plan today.

-What recommendations do you guys have for Sturdy cases? This had a body glove on it, and I'm not impressed, the protector for the screen portion popped off and the screen crack/craze started right on an edge, where the impact was, where the case should have absorbed it.

-phone still works. I was already backing up the contacts, what can I use that would get the apps and their settings if possible? The phone is not rooted. I see "app backup & reinstall" under apps on the marketplace but that will not get app settings, it says.

-the verizon person on the phone mentioned that if I were using the google backup, about 1/2 the time people with replacement phones would have their apps download again automatically, but sometime not, and of course that would not get settings. what is the google backup? just getting apps thru the google marketplace, so it nows what my ID has downloaded?

-I don't have any fine print since I just called and said "add insurence"- and that goes through asurion. Do I need to wait a week before sending the claim in or something?

Thanks for thoughts!

OP
T

toomanyhandles

Reaction score
Well, looking into the insurance thing further, there's a $100 deductible on any replacement. And I will likely get a refurb item.

Since I can get a new display for 30-40 depending on the source, I'll try that first.

RE cases, I am still looking for the sturdiest one out there. Suggestions?

xrp861

Reaction score
If the screen itself isn't cracked there is no deductible and they send you s new one free of charge and you send the phone you are using back.

Refurbished or not tho there is a 1 year warranty on any handset assurion sends out as well.

Also face it without root you will not get app settings back...but you can still go onto Android market on your computer and log in and send all you apps to your phone again. I suggest rooting with z4 and using titanium back up and make.it easy. You don't need to bootstrap for titanium back up and you can in root when you're done.

OP
T

toomanyhandles

Reaction score
If the screen itself isn't cracked there is no deductible and they send you s new one free of charge and you send the phone you are using back.

Refurbished or not tho there is a 1 year warranty on any handset assurion sends out as well.

Also face it without root you will not get app settings back...but you can still go onto Android market on your computer and log in and send all you apps to your phone again. I suggest rooting with z4 and using titanium back up and make.it easy. You don't need to bootstrap for titanium back up and you can in root when you're done.

Thanks for the replies; yah the screen i most definitely a mess, but it still works, somehow. Good info re the deductible not always needed though.

If I mess up the replacement I'll try to make it not obvious, and yah if I have to send this back, I was thinking about rooting it to make a backup then restoring it to factory.

I"ll check out the Otterbox; for my old Q Seidio had some pretty solid solutions, but the form factor of the D2G makes that harder to achieve.

rbw62

Reaction score
Sendo Defender, have dropped mine 4 times on cement floor and phone is fine, no cracked glass.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
T

toomanyhandles

Reaction score
looking at the Otterbox, their Q & A states that it can't take even the Motorola extended battery, and that's something I definitely want.

I don't see a Sendo Defender case for D2G, via google, just Otterbox defender... I'm looking at the Seidio Active also.

I am really disappointed with the Body Glove; the phone landed right on the edge of the screen bezel where the protector should provide best protection, and the drop was only 12", although it was onto a stair step (I was carrying a shirt and the phone fell out of the pocket).

The Body Glove seems to have transmitted 100% of the impact thru to the phone, there's even a ding in the bezel around the screen. The Body Glove looks in perfect shape though.

Thanks for the replies-

Natey2

Reaction score
the verizon person on the phone mentioned that if I were using the google backup, about 1/2 the time people with replacement phones would have their apps download again automatically, but sometime not, and of course that would not get settings. what is the google backup? just getting apps thru the google marketplace, so it nows what my ID has downloaded?

The Verizon rep is correct!
See http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=17354

I found out the hard way... Let others beware.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

Last edited:

rbw62

Reaction score
Sorry, sometimes I do not catch my tbs spelling. But I have a Sendo convert case.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

FernBch

Reaction score
Don't know if this helps you or not as it's only my opinion, but.......

I have a refurb DX. I purchased it as a CPO device from VZW. It looks and behaves just like a new one and I'm quite happy with it. Just because it's not brand new doesn't mean it's not good. It has a one year warranty and everything.

As for a case. Ask around if you're interested in the Otterbox Defender. It's not supposed to work with an extended battery, but I have read here people do have it with one (DX and ext bat). Yes, it is a little bulky, but I got use to it pretty fast and have no issues with it. It offers good protection from bumps, dust, etc. It's not waterproof, but it does keep my DX well protected. Just my 2¢.

My DroidX Thrives on the DarkSlide!!