dropped my temp razr

raginbull74

Reaction score
I recently dropped my razr, which I was planning on exchanging once the next came out.
The screen is cracked. Fortunately it still works and I have the insurance. My question is once I get a replacement razr, or am I stuck with the razr...which isn't bad, but I was waiting for the gnex. will I still be able to exchange it for a gnex?

Droid592

Reaction score
Doubt it, that's like trying to return a car after a accident. Best bet call and ask but i think your suck with it

HTC Rezound

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Little off topic but I guess this post shows that the "toughness" of the razr is basically just a gimmick and not really true...apparently they don't make gorilla glass like they used to, my d1 has been through the mill with barely a scratch on the screen...

supercharged modified liquid 3.1 w/turbocharged 3g
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz w/ kickasskernel tweaks
19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Little off topic but I guess this post shows that the "toughness" of the razr is basically just a gimmick and not really true...apparently they don't make gorilla glass like they used to, my d1 has been through the mill with barely a scratch on the screen...

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

There have been people who dropped their OG and had the screen crack.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
There have been people who dropped their OG and had the screen crack.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

True, it's always possible but I've seen a few posts and some reviews on the razr too and for being advertised as being a very durable phone it doesn't seem to live up to expectations...I have rarely heard of an og with a cracked screen, but obviously it can happen.
Btw it makes sense that the screen isn't as tough as it should be, since its biggest selling point is its thinness and that means a very thin glass screen. They actually probably HAD to use gorilla glass because anything would break way way way too easily

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

SallyC

Reaction score
I've seen the ads that the RAZR is *resistant* to water and scratching, but I've never seen claims about dropping. Did I miss something?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've seen the ads that the RAZR is *resistant* to water and scratching, but I've never seen claims about dropping. Did I miss something?

Not specifiably about being dropped or anything like that, its kinda implied to be overall tpugh and durable with water resistance, gorilla glass screen, and Kevlar back and how highly they advertise those features...why else have even Kevlar if its not meant to imply that its tough and durable, I mean what was your first thoughts upon hearing Kevlar backing, gorilla glass and water resistance?

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

One of these days, people are going to finally get the hint that Gorilla Glass is SCRATCH resistant. Not SHATTER proof.

SallyC

Reaction score
Not specifiably about being dropped or anything like that, its kinda implied to be overall tpugh and durable with water resistance, gorilla glass screen, and Kevlar back and how highly they advertise those features...why else have even Kevlar if its not meant to imply that its tough and durable, I mean what was your first thoughts upon hearing Kevlar backing, gorilla glass and water resistance?

Honestly - not drop protection. That's why I got an Otterbox Commuter. My thoughts were that it would be less likely to get the fine scratches on the back of it that my iDevice had (because of the Kevlar), not as easily scratched glass (although I understand GG is scratched by things like sand so I have a screen protector anyways) and if I accidentally splash some water on it or use it when it's raining (not dropping it in the sink) it should be okay.

From Moto's site: DROID RAZR proves that thin no longer equals frail. It’s made strong with KEVLAR® fiber, while Corning® Gorilla® Glass defends the screen against scrapes and scratches. A force field of water-repellent nanoparticles shields the phone against water attacks — even the electrical boards inside.

They're not saying it's scratch or waterproof. It can still shatter or break and if you drown it, it may not recover. And there's nothing at all about drops. I'm not sure why some folks have been able to drop them without problems - even in water - but others have the glass break when it gets dropped. I can see where that's frustrating and I'm sorry for anyone it happens to.

The only thing I can say is that I don't think Moto ever made any promises about drops, scratches or water but they have used some of the toughest material available to build a very thin phone. You can add a little bit of bulk - and a lot of protection - by going with something like the Commuter series of the Otterbox. But I know that's not for everyone.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
As far as I know if you replaced the original purchased phone for a defect with the same model you can not return it anymore. It also has a different ESN # which may prevent you to return it. Better call customer service or go to a store and try to convince the manager. It says in the contract that it's at their discretion if they accept or refuse a return so according to their contract they can even refuse a perfectly good phone.
Hope you get your Nexus, I too have a temp RAZOR and I just can't wait to replace it, the screen is the worse AMOLED screen I've seen on a cell phone. Even my 3 year old Samsung Omnia had a better screen.

Androidatic

Reaction score
Or sell the replacement on eBay and put those funds towards the GN.

As for the toughness, if anyone thinks this phone is any more or less tough than any other phone out there, you're foolish. With that being said, the Razr is tougher than any phone that's as thin as the Razr.