Droid2 global doesn't

barneyheller

Reaction score
Recently travelled to England. I contacted Verizon to set everything up before I left. That was a waste. My phone did not work at all. After 4 days of trying, I was able to Skype to Verizon. They didn't have my sim card registered. Whose fault is that? I was able to get a few calls after that, but my Internet NEVER worked. No email, nothing. Thank goodness for my iPad..
I used to have a Blackberry and never had any problems wherever I went. Droid is very disappointing. I want an iPhone.

leobg

Reaction score
Good luck getting Verizons iPhone working in England

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Well, that's mostly VZW's fault.

To be honest, to really be able to use the phone normally on a GSM network, it's much more stable to unlock the SIM card slot with a code VZW global support can provide, and then install a local carrier's SIM card. Then, once you add the internet APN, you can use 2G/3G GSM data without paying insane amounts of money for each megabyte of traffic — using the local carrier's prices.

leobg

Reaction score
Well, that's mostly VZW's fault.

To be honest, to really be able to use the phone normally on a GSM network, it's much more stable to unlock the SIM card slot with a code VZW global support can provide, and then install a local carrier's SIM card. Then, once you add the internet APN, you can use 2G/3G GSM data without paying insane amounts of money for each megabyte of traffic — using the local carrier's prices.

It can't get more stable than using Verizon's provided sim. This is the only officially supported setup from Motorola/Verizon for this phone. Too bad this is also the most expensive way. Too bad, also, Verizon support isn't always as helpful as it should be. I'd say that was what OP main problem was, not the phone...

silver6054

Reaction score
It can't get more stable than using Verizon's provided sim. This is the only officially supported setup from Motorola/Verizon for this phone. Too bad this is also the most expensive way. Too bad, also, Verizon support isn't always as helpful as it should be. I'd say that was what OP main problem was, not the phone...

Sort of depends on the definition of stable! Using the Verizon SIM relies on it being activated by Verizon, and, as this experience shows, that can't be taken for granted. Unlocking gives you more options, including of course sticking with the Verizon SIM.

If you are frequently using the device in one area, I think it makes sense to see if you can find a third-party SIM that works well. For one-off use, or if you are going to lots of different countries, then, except for the cost, the Verizon SIM might make sense.

And, for what it's worth, I frequently use the D2G in England with a 3rd party SIM, and have no issues with voice or data.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Myself, I got my D2G off eBay and it came without a Verizon SIM. Not like I could ever use it, since I never lived in the USA and correspondingly never had an account with VZW, so I'm just using local carriers' cards (Softbank in Japan, NWGSM in Russia).

Fun fact: Softbank's roaming costs around the world are lower than prices listed for VZW's Global services, and that's without paying anything extra (just using the phone on a GSM network lets you roam with a Softbank SIM where appropriate, unless you disable roaming for your account).