Droid1 Facebook App to DroidX

stompwampa

Reaction score
I just got a DroidX yesterday and I must say I'm disappointed with the social media and contact management.

I really liked the Facebook app that came pre-installed on the original Droid1 (which I just migrated from). I was expecting the same app on the DroidX, only to find the stupid Social Networking App.

Is there a way to install the Droid1 Facebook app on a DroidX? The FB App in the marketplace isn't quite the same...and it doesn't have the Sync options that the Droid1 Facebook app had.

Also...is there a way to keep the DX from showing every single contact I have between Twitter, Google and Facebook? I only want the Google contacts to show up, but I want them to use thier FB profile pics like they did on the Droid1. I know I can select the "Show Contact Group" but it always defaults back to All Contacts.

Seems like a dumb change from what worked so smoothly on the Droid1.

Thanks!

FoFa

Reaction score
Same for me, it is actually in the market place, I just installed it.

OP
S

stompwampa

Reaction score
But the one in the marketplace isn't the same that came on the Droid1. The one in the marketplace does not have the Sync options that I had on the Droid1.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
But the one in the marketplace isn't the same that came on the Droid1. The one in the marketplace does not have the Sync options that I had on the Droid1.

Pretty sure its the same app, but since the DX doesn't use the stock contacts app like the D1, the FB app wont enable the sync feature. Its all Blurs fault.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

It has the exact same sync options. The one in the market is an updated version of the preinstalled app.

To the op, go to "My Accounts" and log out from fb and twitter. Then, download the facebook for android from the market and tell it to sync with existing contacts.

You wont be able to use the social network widgets, but your contacts won't be cluttered.

Sent from my DROIDX

FoFa

Reaction score
Yea, Motoblur seems to throw a couple quirks into the mix, so root and get rid of it, or learn it and live with it I guess.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I don't see where it says to sync with existing contacts?

same. It simply doesn't have that as an option for me. I removed the blur FB account, and the Market FB account. then re added just the Market FB account and it doesn't have that as an option.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My apologies. I could've sworn it was still there, but I just looked and it's not. However, I thought when I first installed it that it asked if/what I wanted to sync...

This is going to bug me. I'll do some digging around.

OP
S

stompwampa

Reaction score
It has the exact same sync options. The one in the market is an updated version of the preinstalled app.

To the op, go to "My Accounts" and log out from fb and twitter. Then, download the facebook for android from the market and tell it to sync with existing contacts.

You wont be able to use the social network widgets, but your contacts won't be cluttered.

Okay...I didn't realize it was the same App.

I already logged out of the FB and Twitter from the Social Network app. When I go to "Add Account" it has two FB options. One is the Social Network FB, the other is the App. I click on the one for the App, and nothing happens.

However, I can do this with Twitter. I installed the Twitter app from the marketplace, logged out of the Social Network Twitter, logged into the App and was able to add that one through the Add Account area (which also showed two Twitter icons and I picked the one for the app)

So for whatever reason I cannot get the FB app to sync with contacts.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ok, well, the quick, easy answer is to open Contacts. Not the contacts tab in the dialer, but the app called Contacts. At the top, it'll say Contacts: All. Click that text (not the green plus sign) and select Google.

Alternatively, if you only ever want to see your Google contacts, press menu, then Display Group, then select Google.

Unfortunately, this doesn't carry over into the contacts tab on the dialer, but it's what you need.

EDIT: Of course, to have their Facebook pictures shown, you have to be logged in to the fb social network app.

OP
S

stompwampa

Reaction score
Ok, well, the quick, easy answer is to open Contacts. Not the contacts tab in the dialer, but the app called Contacts. At the top, it'll say Contacts: All. Click that text (not the green plus sign) and select Google.

Alternatively, if you only ever want to see your Google contacts, press menu, then Display Group, then select Google.

Unfortunately, this doesn't carry over into the contacts tab on the dialer, but it's what you need.

EDIT: Of course, to have their Facebook pictures shown, you have to be logged in to the fb social network app.

I was afraid that this would be the only option.

The thing is, the view always defaults back to "All Contacts"

Is there a way to make it only show Google Contacts by default?
I don't mind logging into the Social Network FB as long as I don't have to see all those people all the time.

lterry913

Reaction score
I think there is an app on the market called sync my pics...this gives you the ability to use just your google contacts but have their contact picture only sync with a social app.