Droid X vs HTC Desire?

sbaker34

Reaction score
So I have a milestone with a small carrier but being the idiot I am flashed baseband without researching up on it long enough and realized it was not the bluegrass cellular baseband and needed to be reactivated, I called them up and they said to bring it in but I may just be screwed basically. Now, I may be stuck with a cheap dumbphone for 2 years.

However, I MAY also be able to scrape together 400 for a HTC Desire, it is currently bluegrass's top phone and now that I got a chance to try the onscreen keyboard find myself using the slide out for only the longest messages. They will also be getting the milestone X aka the droid X in the undefined near future only listed as "coming soon" however it will probably be nearly 200$ more, I put together some pros and cons compared to my old droid and the droid x but I would like to know if you had anything more to add.

HTC Desire
Pros

• 1ghz roughly twice as powerful as my droid
  • HTC Sense, if it gets old I can always root and remove it
  • Smaller​
  • only 420
  • Android 2.2
Cons

• Older phone like droid
  • 5mp vs 8mp
  • Smaller is also a con when it comes to typing

Droid X

Pros

• Newer model
  • Also 1GHZ
  • 8mp camera
  • Larger screen good for typing

Cons

• Huge, my droid is too big for my pocket and this will only be worse
  • Most likely going to be way more money then I can scrape together in less then 3 months
  • unreleased as of now

I realize some of you might dislike these kinds of threads but I am fairly new to the smart phone game and you may have better knowledge of brand quality, a feature one might have over the other or have even or do own both.

JWellington

Reaction score
If I were you, I would get the htc. This is coming from someone with a DX. I love my droid x, but in your case, the other phone is better. WHAT makes android great is the software more than the hardware. Android is an extremely customizable system.

If the milestone is anything to go by, don't expect to be able to root or load roms into the milestone x. Also, from what I have heard, HTC sense is the best launcher period. People try adw and launcher pro but they just go back to sense. Htc services are also more ready to hack and root.

Pocket the 200€ and get the htc desire.

Swyped from my Droid X.

OP
S

sbaker34

Reaction score
This is the US milestone and milestone X, meaning its the rebranded droid rather then euro version, but I still hear lots of issues with rooting the droid X

JWellington

Reaction score
Rooting the droid x is as easy as loading an application z4root and clicking root. The difficulties were only in the beginning. I've ben a user since launch. The DX got rooted by bird man in a week!

Swyped from my Droid X.