Droid X Upgrade Price from Droid

robyr

Reaction score
I can flatly say I don't believe you. When you are not using an application out right, Android will sleep the process. The only thing that will keep running is background services. Killing the applications like you are doing is only making the services restart ad-nauseum. Read some of the excellent information on the boards, and if you are still feeling froggy (which you should after reading the information) root your phone, and upgrade to 2.2. The upgrade to 2.2 made me about as happy as I could ever be with my Droid. I did it on the first day I had it.

everyone has their own opinions on taskillers. some apps are poorly designed and NEED to be closed when done using it to avoid it killing the battery. but hey do what u want..

I see what you are saying, however I have seen zero evidence that killing tasks is in anyway beneficial to the performance of the device. The proper way to deal with this is to not install poorly designed applications that constantly (and erroneously, as far as I am concerned) chew on processor cycles in the background. Any real mobile application developer does not do this at all, and I have had no reason to ever kill a task that wasn't malfunctioning out right.

Also, I suspect a lot of people have performance issues after loading up their homescreens full of redundant and wasteful "monitoring" widgets that are constantly polling resources and not only impacting device performance, but yielding terrible battery life in the process

- Robert.

OP
N

Nblufire12

Reaction score
Well I'm about convinced. I'ma root this bad boy!

This kinda reminds me of hacking a PSP back then

robyr

Reaction score
Well I'm about convinced. I'ma root this bad boy!

This kinda reminds me of hacking a PSP back then

You won't regret it. I seriously felt I got burned when I heard about the Droid X, then I saw the community behind the Droid, and I couldn't be happier. The grass always looks greener, but being an early adopter can have major downsides. This device has/had the full weight of Google behind it, and it shows.

Good luck in your Droid travels. I had mine rooted in about 20 minutes. There are guides that make it so easy that an iPhone user could do it ;)

bryanbahr

Reaction score
Robyr for having your Droid for less than 30 days and being new to this forum, you sure do act like you know what you are talking about.

I have had my Droid since November, have been Rooted since January and can tell you with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that there is a time and a place for Task Killers.
Many times my phone will be running sluggish. I will check into my Task Manager and see like 35mb of free Memory. I will kill the unneeded Apps and pop back up to 70mb.
The phone will run fluid, quick like its supposed to.
Not all apps automatically restart, and with more than 60,000 apps available its reasonable to say that a large chunk of them are not designed to the flawless working order you seem to think.

Now in all politeness, you do sound knowledgable in this area, but don't storm in here 20 days in and start dropping phrases like "I flat out don't believe you" to someone who bought their Droid a week after you.

Many people debate the usefulness of Task Killers, but they tend to be programmers and people who see that on paper, you shouldn't need one.
Use your Droid for a few more months before you go dishing out condescending remarks to people who are just new to this and asking honest questions.

Nbluefire12- I do recommend rooting if you are unhappy with your Droids speed, but know that it does void your Warranty. You will gain a lot positives, but you will lose a bit of stability with the majority of Custom Roms, even the best ones like Bugless Beast and UltimateDroid.
I suggest you have Insurance, in which case go to town on it.

robyr

Reaction score
It voids your warranty if you outright tell them you did it, maybe.

I confess, I am a programmer, and I realize that in the the Real World (TM) things are not always by the API, for the API, but that only tells me that installing crappily coded apps is the problem, and that task killers aren't the solution.

As an aside, I am new to the forums, yes, and possibly this phone, but I have been using, coding for, and hacking devices since the 1.0 days.

I just want people to understand that the hardware in our phones is not old, outdated, or any sort of underpowered at all. A lot of the performance and battery issues people have on here would be just as bad on ANY device. It all comes down to usage and application choice.

OP
N

Nblufire12

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I've done a bit of researching and saw a couple of vids.

I'm guessing there isn't only one custom ROM... Do they all have different features or something? In the video I saw, it was called Smoked Glass or something, and now you mentioned Bugless Beast and Ultimate Droid. I'm guessing they all run froyo but have different features?

Thanks

loggainsd

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I've done a bit of researching and saw a couple of vids.

I'm guessing there isn't only one custom ROM... Do they all have different features or something? In the video I saw, it was called Smoked Glass or something, and now you mentioned Bugless Beast and Ultimate Droid. I'm guessing they all run froyo but have different features?

Thanks

Some run froyo some are 2.1

I recommend Cyanogen Mod. It's super fast IMO compared to the other ones. The froyo based Cyan Rom is still beta but i have had less issues with it than other completely released roms. The only issues i have currently is better keyboard force closes a lot and my apps didn't auto reinstall, other than that it has been great.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/koush/58525-cm6-rc1-official-droid.html

Dom2020

Reaction score
Try this idea.

Nooo that's the worst possible news!!!

Is there a way for me to sell my Droid to cut into that huge $600 chunk?

Or even trade-in? That's killer :'(

Get a new friend to join on your family plan. That is an extra $12 a month, plus the normal Droid data plan of $30 a month. You friend orders the X for his new line and after he/she gets it, you swap. Give /sell them your old and take the new X. Your friend get a Droid, pays under $50 a month like most everyone else, and you get the X from Verizon for about $200, because of starting a new line. Also, on selling the old Droid for market value, think about $100.
Got a friend that needs to start a line with your carrier? (One you can trust to pay his bill every month.)
Free advice moment.

xious

Reaction score
I purchased my Droid the it came out as well (November 7th) and am not eligible for an upgrade until July of 2011. I went to purchase a DroidX this morning at the Verizon store and told the guy that I knew I was going to be paying full price ($569) but was willing to do it due to not liking the keyboard and thickness of the Droid (I love everything else about it though). He disappeared to the back, came back and pulled me aside. He said he spoke with the manager and said that if I was willing to have it overnighted to me, than they would sale it to me for the $299 plus $100 rebate. Worked for me.

So I'll have mine in hopefully tomorrow. So if you're not up for upgrade, don't fret. Just do some hagglin' and you might get hooked up pretty good.

X

Dom2020

Reaction score
Yea, this appears to be somewhat the norm. Verizon is pushing the DX out the door with a slight blind eye to the upgrade dates for the rest of this year.
I'm happy for you, this is only a cell phone and we are paying money out. Like it is all win-win.