Droid X shocking through headphones

Dreken

Reaction score
So i was listening to music on my droid x using wired headphones on my way into work the other day and all the sudden i start feeling a few small shocks in my ears, i think hm i guess my head phones went bad, so when i got home i changed to a different set of wired headphones, wow and behold i'm walking into work and here we go shocking me again. so i said ok they were stored roughly the same place maybe something went bad on these too, off to walmart i go and but a brand new set of headphones, open the packaging plug it into the phone, start listening to music and BAM i get shocked yet again. now you can not tell me 3 headphones one of which is brand new is bad.....so i call verizon wireless and i get this response "well you should just stop listening to music then" i mean really???? stop using the phone for one of the purposes? what the hell did i buy the phone for then if i can't use it for one of the main purposes???? then they tried to tell me that it wasn't the phone it was my headphones and that i would need to buy a $50 pair from them because that was obviously the problem. now i've been using these headphones with ALL my phones including the droid X for years and never had a problem untill now. anyone else know of this problem or experienced it themselves? any ideas on what could be causing it and how i can get verizon to stop being utter morons and expecting someone to pay an arm and leg for a phone that desn't work?

cpjr

Reaction score
Just take the phone in and let it shock one of the reps.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This definitely isn't normal. Is there anything else you're doing at the time that might contribute to the shocking?

Sent from my phone... which happens to be a Droid X

ekyle

Reaction score
That used to happen to me when I'd work out with my Eris in my pocket. I always just thought that it was static being discharged through the headphones.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
it is a static discharge. depends on your environment, relative humidity, how you store your phone, what kind of phone it is and what objects you come in contact with. this is more common occurrence when temperatures begin to drop. just wait till winter time ;)

it's more prominent occurrence on droid x as it has a metal outer shell. metal + fiber/cloth/plastic friction = free electricity.

OP
D

Dreken

Reaction score
I did bring it into the verizon store and of course they told me nothing is wrong with it. i have the shell and holster combo on it and it was in the holster as i was walking to work, nothing else was going on except the music player. this is rediculous i'm told stop listening to music, yeah like thats really a solution. then the verizon store told me do a factory reset, which i'll do if it so appeases them but really how is reseting the software gonna solve a problem of the device sending out too much electricity through the headphones?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree that it's ridiculous and unacceptable for Verizon to tell you to stop listening to music. Who in their right mind tells someone to stop using a basic function of a device? LOL

That's like when I had my D1 replaced for garbled audio during phone calls and them telling me to stop making phone calls!