Droid vs. iPhone- internal (processors, etc.)

darreno1

Reaction score
According to what I've heard from CES, Google is working on the app memory limit. The nice 3d games will come.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Uh...whoa...now hold on just a minute there.

I owned an iphone for 2.5 years before the droid (3g and 3gs), and the droid does NOT have worse battery life than the iphone. That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. If your droid truly has a worse battery than the iphone, then there is something wrong with your droid.

By 3PM every single day, with my iphone, it would be dead. With the same amount of usage with the Droid, I have 50% left at 3pm.
My 3GS didn't have better battery life than my Droid either. As far as all the fancy 3D gaming, I'm guessing that's up to Google. They're going to have to communicate with game makers to bring their games to the Android platform, that's what Palm is doing now with the Pre.

Android's modest internal storage numbers may also hinder development. Game makers might not feel comfortable with installing the bulk of their games on the SD cards, since that may increase the chance of piracy. Gaming is a pretty big part of the marketing strategy behind the iPhone, that's probably why their A8 is clocked to 600 instead of 550 like the Droid, and why their version of the PowerVR chip pushes more polygons than the Droid.

The Pre has the same graphics chip as the Droid btw, and there are some videos floating around of a Need for Speed demo, and it looks great. So yeah, I would say the Droid is more than capable. IMO, it will be a matter of whether or not Google wants tap into that particular market.
I wouldn't think it would be Google. I think it'd be the devs... amiright?

Yup. The devs have to believe that it is worth it to develop apps for the Android OS. They also have to work around making the game work on different phones running Android, unlike iPhone devs who only have to worry about the iPhone/iPod Touch. We have the hardware, now we just need the games. However, these graphic intensive games will kill the battery SO fast. I had the 3rd gen iPod Touch and playing games (albeit awesome games) would run it dead much faster than anything else.

natty_lite

Reaction score
praeceps said:
I wouldn't think it would be Google. I think it'd be the devs... amiright?

Well, if someone like you or your ever day joe wanted to get busy with a development kit and make something cool, then sure, you could have at it. I was referring to major gaming developers who make games for the iPhone such as Electronic Arts. I imagine some communication with Google directly would be required before they were able to start making games of that magnitude (like Assassin's Creed or Resident Evil)

daddyd302

Reaction score
Apple has a a much more mature and polish OS. The Droid or Google's OS still isn't there yet. It's pretty good for where it's at, and it's just gonna get better.

Elysian

Reaction score
Aren't the iPhone, Droid, and Pre all running on the same processor?

Further research I did does show the iPhone and the Droid indeed have the same processor(and therefore GPU), but the iPhone CPU is clocked at the full 600mhz, so with that fact and a much lower rez screen, the iPhone should be faster (given identical OS/APP loading).

Same architecture does not equal the same processor. Also, the graphics processor on the iPhone 3Gs has roughly double the throughput of the Pre/Droid.

So, the moral of this story is we can have a obscenely fast phone, the iPhone, but we don't get the super high quality screen(so many pixels... another reason why the Droid has a worse batery life than the iPhone), or we can go just a bit slower(Android is DAMNED efficient anyway) and have all the beauty. It's, in my opinion, not a clear cut even spread. You loose less speed due to the Droid's efficient OS, and you get a significantly larger pieace of beauty AND it's more versatile regardless.

Uh...whoa...now hold on just a minute there.

I owned an iphone for 2.5 years before the droid (3g and 3gs), and the droid does NOT have worse battery life than the iphone. That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. If your droid truly has a worse battery than the iphone, then there is something wrong with your droid.

By 3PM every single day, with my iphone, it would be dead. With the same amount of usage with the Droid, I have 50% left at 3pm.
My 3GS didn't have better battery life than my Droid either. As far as all the fancy 3D gaming, I'm guessing that's up to Google. They're going to have to communicate with game makers to bring their games to the Android platform, that's what Palm is doing now with the Pre.

Android's modest internal storage numbers may also hinder development. Game makers might not feel comfortable with installing the bulk of their games on the SD cards, since that may increase the chance of piracy. Gaming is a pretty big part of the marketing strategy behind the iPhone, that's probably why their A8 is clocked to 600 instead of 550 like the Droid, and why their version of the PowerVR chip pushes more polygons than the Droid.

The Pre has the same graphics chip as the Droid btw, and there are some videos floating around of a Need for Speed demo, and it looks great. So yeah, I would say the Droid is more than capable. IMO, it will be a matter of whether or not Google wants tap into that particular market.

Don't forget the Pre's only running at 480x320 like the iPhone. That doesn't mean the Droid's gpu isn't capable, just saying, it's not a good comparison.

natty_lite

Reaction score
Don't forget the Pre's only running at 480x320 like the iPhone. That doesn't mean the Droid's gpu isn't capable, just saying, it's not a good comparison.

True. I forgot about that. I wonder if Apple is going to finally jump onto the WVGA bandwagon with their latest iPhone.