Motorola Droid Outsells Original iPhone

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Shadez, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Flurry, a company sort of known as being an analytics tracking guru, has released data that would show the Motorola Droid as having outsold the iPhone within its first 74 days on the market. I’ll say that one more time for everyone. The Droid has better sales numbers through its first 74 days than the original iPhone did. Bam! Check out the chart below…

[​IMG]

You have got to love those numbers right? So tonight, when that guy at your local pub is raving about “Augmented reality in Yelp dude!” you can pull up this page and say, “Here is reality.”
    [Source: Flurry]
    [Via: Phandroid]

** Above is C&P.
    Not from me but taken from Droid life daily digest.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. Slothead

Slothead New Member

Give me a break!!! Who the hell has an original iPhone!? Make your comparison to the 3G or the 3GS for Chist's sake!
  3. Shadez

Its just a comparison, not a physics thesis lol
  4. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

It's comparing the Droids first 74 days with the original iPhones first 74 days... : )
  5. mikes

mikes New Member

Insecure people who need their choices validated by group acceptance, rejoice!:yahoo:
  6. Shadez

lol I think your reading way to much into a comparison ...put down :D the pipe

And btw, this is an Android news and info forum, this is android news and info..
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  7. NoKz

NoKz New Member

It's being compared to the 1st iphone because this is the 1st droid. Maybe if you actually paid attention, you would see it's a comparison between 2 first gen phones of their type.
  8. demon69120

demon69120 New Member

The iPhone was like the first smartphone, that's why sales are kind of low.
  9. Slothead

Slothead New Member

Good responses folks. I figured that you would castrate me for my language, but in fact you offered real world discussion! Good for you folks! I' pleased to be a member here. :)
  10. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

I think there are arguments for and against this being important.

Against: The orig iphone was $500. For a phone that had very limited functionality. Remember...no app store. No mms. No customization. No pwning. No 3g. Pretty much made it's sales by the logo on the back and the sleek look of it. I know why I had it. :)

For: The iphone revolutionized the smartphone market. Hate it or not, it's true. Never before Iphone did you see kids, old people, and the general public embrace a data plan and create a cult like following. I know crackberry users will argue, but it's not even close. The droid jumps in with an unknown OS for the most part. It was obviously advertised as a "smarter smartphone" and for geekier people. The smartphone, touchscreen market is flooded now and droid is taking a good foothold in it. It doesn't have the round thin sleek looks of the iphone. It's not as user friendly and has no manual with it. oh, and it's on verizon
  11. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

We'll jump you when you least expect it : )
  12. Brokn68

Brokn68 New Member

Hopefully that's just a start of many good things for the device.
  13. bastosero

bastosero New Member

In case you didn't know, the iPhone was NOT the first smartphone around. LOL
  14. iMpathetic

iMpathetic New Member

That's a very encouraging statistic. :) 5 or 6 kids at my school have switched to the droid from iPhones.
  15. zeavott

zeavott New Member

I agree with most of the comments here. Like it or not, the Iphone did not have any "new" features that didn't exists in the smartphone market (See Nokia N95)

Apple are just marketing gurus and they really got the smartphone market jump-started in the US....

Still, in my opinion, Droid is a MUCH more capable device that allows the user to customize it better.
  16. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

Don't look too deeply into these numbers. We just don't know exactly what they mean.

Remember, the iPhone would have more "trouble" selling their smartphones at first because people just didn't know what these things were capable of doing back then. Sure, there are other devices out there like blackberries, but the iPhone changed all that.

That being said, Verizon has a *HUGE* customer base and had a very big advertising budget for the Droid. That being said, I would expect the Droid sales to be significantly higher than the original iPhones. Thats a downside. The good side is that Droid sold a bunch of phones.

Remember, there are many Verizon customers who've waited on the sidelines for years for a real smartphone to hit Verizon's network. It finally did and a lot of peopel took the plunge. Lets see what happens in the future.

Personally, i'd like to see Verizon embrace Android and become the Droid/Android "unofficial network" with a huge android following. But who knows.. we'll see.

-Wil
  17. bwhite82

bwhite82 New Member

I agree that you can't really compare a phone that was a brand new idea at the time with the droid. And I definitely credit Apple for starting this whole craze. BTW, I've never owned one single Apple product (outside of my budget), so "fanboy" cannot be applied to me, I am a happy Droid user. Cheers!

//2 cents
  18. Newps

Newps Member

I would say Apple spent a lot more on advertising the iPhone when it first came out. You couldn't escape the ads.
  19. darreno1

darreno1 New Member

The LG Prada came out before the iPhone and was the first mobile phone with a capacitive touch screen. Nothing about the iPhone is truly revolutionary. It's timing was right and it had the brand recognition and loyalty to back it up. And yes, they advertised the heck out of it.

For Motorola, timing was also key and they played their cards right and succeeded. But if the Droid was a crappy product, it doubt it would have sold as well as it did even with Verizon's backing. It backed up the hype and deserves its position.
  20. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Yeah, using the original iPhone release isn't really comparing apples to apples (no pun intended). How long ago was that and what was the competition? What was the economy like? How many places was the iPhone available? It's like bragging how much money the movie Avatar made when, if you adjusted for inflation, it's only 14th with Gone With The Wind as the highest money maker.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010