droid slowing down?

3rdphotorecon

Reaction score
When I first got my droid when adding a new shortcut it was very responsive and the menus loaded quickly. Now after using it for a little over a month when adding a new shortcut say an application it takes up to a minute for the app selection to load. this is probably a dumb question but has anyone else experianced this? Would having a large amount of apps be the problem or am I the only one?

Silver Member
Reaction score
that's a new one on me, but yeah, you're limited on space, so choose wisely. some apps are bigger pigs than others.

msallese31

Reaction score
I also had problems after some time with the phone becoming slower. I dont know if its time or just the addition of apps. Hopefully 2.1 will resolve this

tu3218

Reaction score
are you using a home screen replacement? are you using a lot of widgets each screen? those can cause the phone to lag a little.

msallese31

Reaction score
No home screen replacement or widgets, i had a task manager but got rid of it because i learned there is no need for one and it was slowing it down but it still lags

tu3218

Reaction score
thats interesting. next thing I would try is just restarting the phone, this sometimes helps refresh everything. if not, try downloading advance task manager again and close all the apps and see if that helps.

bots

Reaction score
My advice would be to uninstall any apps that you think seem unpolished, and see if it helps. It would probably benefit you to do a wipe and reinstall everything one by one. I know it is a pain in the butt, but there is no reason for the lag except for a faulty application either leaking ram or loading the cpu. I have 5 home screens all full of widgets and what-nots, plus I am running home++. I can load up some music in the background and my app dock still responds like butter. Basically what I am telling you is that I am sure that your problem is coming from a rogue app, not android itself. Singling out the app is up to you and how much time you want to spend finding it. It would be worth the work in my opinion, but I am a stickler for speed. Hope I could be of some help. I urge you to find that pesky app and uninstall it!

One more thing- if you are running 2.1 it is definitely less responsive than 2.01 in my opinion. I was running 2.1 for about a week and couldn't handle it anymore. Wait until 2.1 source is released and we will see a major speed increase. Or do what I do and get a nice 2.01 rom with all the 2.1 goodies in it.

AllDroid.org - View topic - [ROM] Sholes.info team 2.0.1 ROM 1.0 RC1 !

Thats the most responsive rom I've tried by far. The 2.1 launcher is the only thing I would opt out of, as it's a little laggy in its current state.

JayMonster

Reaction score
thats interesting. next thing I would try is just restarting the phone, this sometimes helps refresh everything. if not, try downloading advance task manager again and close all the apps and see if that helps.

Do NOT download advance task manager.

bots

Reaction score

Do NOT download advance task manager.

I agree, a task manager is worthless for its "intended" use of constantly clearing up ram, but it could be useful in singling out which app is causing problems.

bots

Reaction score
I have advanced task manager, so should i uninstall it?

It's not really detrimental to have, it's just unnecessary. Android will manage your memory for you, there is really no reason to manually mange it yourself. Like I said it could help in singling out a problem app by killing processes or apps and determining whether they are causing problems. Aside from that, just let android do what it was designed to do. I have never had a task manager and my droid is blazing fast, with tons of widgets, music playing, home replacement, and whatever else.

msallese31

Reaction score
I uninstalled it. It's not that bad with speed i just dont see the speed you guys are talking about, and im not even doing much. I would rather not uninstall everything also

superglen99

Reaction score
I wouldnt un-install ATK, I have it and it hasn't slowed my phone at all as I have done tests with and without it. In fact when my phone starts to lag I open ATK and kill everything and it speeds up, imagine that? I'm not OCD about it but there have been times I literally needed it.

tu3218

Reaction score
ATK has not slowed my phone down one bit. Yeah android does manage memory for you but what if you do want to just close everything at once so you can at least operate your phone with good memory available. Also sometimes for example an app that uses gps, when I'm done with it, it may continue to use the gps. Instead of waiting for android to kill the app an waste battery from using gps, I can just kill in right away with ATK.