Droid Rooting Questions

soccer568

Reaction score
Hey ive had my droid for about 1month and a half.Ive been thinking that i wan tto root it now.I got some questions though my first would be if i was to download a custom rom do they run faster?Another question is if i root my droid which is on 2.1 will i be able to go back to stock?My last one would be if i factory resetted my phone would all my contacts be lost?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey ive had my droid for about 1month and a half.Ive been thinking that i wan tto root it now.I got some questions though my first would be if i was to download a custom rom do they run faster?Another question is if i root my droid which is on 2.1 will i be able to go back to stock?My last one would be if i factory resetted my phone would all my contacts be lost?

Try the 3rd link in my signature. I went from rooted, to stock, to rooted. You could just as easily go from stock, to rooted, to stock.

There also is word about a new update that might prevent rooting, but its just rumor now. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ta-update-alert-still-2-1-a-2.html#post451353

Your contacts are on gmail so come right back if you got them synced. Add a new contact through gmail and it shows up on your phone. Delete one on your phone and its gone from gmail.

I think my phone runs faster at 1.1 ghz than the stock 550mhz.

OP
S

soccer568

Reaction score
oh alright i will check out that link.Thanks for the help.Oh so with the custom roms you can overclock the processor?Isnt that dangerous if the temps get too high? If i got that update would i have to update it or could i ignore it?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
oh alright i will check out that link.Thanks for the help.Oh so with the custom roms you can overclock the processor?Isnt that dangerous if the temps get too high? If i got that update would i have to update it or could i ignore it?

Take some time to read through the various rom install threads on the forum here in the roms section. I know most list whether or not they include an overclockable cpu in the kernel that comes with the rom or not.
The one I'm running had options when I installed it for which kernel speeds I wanted and it came with wifi-tether and other stuff. This is true of most of the roms but read to make sure.

As for temps, SetCPU from the market monitors the temp and slows down the cpu if it does get too hot.

The update turned out to be nothing to worry about.