Droid Razr M 98.18.94.XT907 Root?

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
Ok so, I updated my Razr M to the latest version 98.18.94.XT907.Verizon.en.US and I decided I want to root my phone. When I Google how to root Droid Razr M All I could find is how to root the older versions of the firmware. I know this phone is confirmed to get Kit Kat so should I root it now or wait until the update and then root the phone? This will be a major update and I am obviously want the latest version of Android on my phone but I know you could loose root. I already have all stock roms for this phone. (Here is the link http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=8 this site also includes roms for other Droid phones.) Anyway I have been living in the Android world for almost a year and have never rooted a phone mainly because I am afraid to brick my phones. I would also want to unlock the bootloader if you could lock it back. I know you could unroot but I don't know if you could lock back your bootloader.

UPDATE: I have successfully rooted the Razr M running on 98.18.94 using this method:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=49240373#post49240373 This has been confirmed to work on the Razr M. Use at your own risk. Thanks everyone for the help.

RikRipper

Reaction score
I am in the exact same boat. I've had Android for about 3 years now but have only just recently looked into rooting. Turns out that Motorolla will soon be obsolete in the terms of rooting because they're making it increasingly more difficult to root and no one wants to spend the time and money figuring it out. I'm afraid I won't be able to reverse the root in case I have to activate my warranty, or even worse, I'll brick it. No one seems to have an answer for me either. I just want to get rid of this darn bloatware. I'm not sure how far the RAZR M is down the line for the update. It seems like the world around me has it and I'm just twiddling my thumbs. It's times like these I wish I had a Nexus.

OP
droideddie13

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
I am in the exact same boat. I've had Android for about 3 years now but have only just recently looked into rooting. Turns out that Motorolla will soon be obsolete in the terms of rooting because they're making it increasingly more difficult to root and no one wants to spend the time and money figuring it out. I'm afraid I won't be able to reverse the root in case I have to activate my warranty, or even worse, I'll brick it. No one seems to have an answer for me either. I just want to get rid of this darn bloatware. I'm not sure how far the RAZR M is down the line for the update. It seems like the world around me has it and I'm just twiddling my thumbs. It's times like these I wish I had a Nexus.

Yeah. You are right. These phones are not only getting more difficult to root but they are also becoming obsolete. This phone first came out in September 2012, but it's already 2014 and people are focusing more on recent devices. I should be getting a Moto X or something. But at least we are getting the KitKat update. Oh and I read online that you can downgrade it to older firmware without unlocking your phone's bootloader but you can only do this if you are flashing Motorola official firmware. I also read an article online about how to downgrade the Razr M to ICS. Just Google search how to downgrade Droid Razr M to ICS and you should get the article. If I do any of this and brick my phone I'd probably be screwed with my parents because they would have to buy me a new phone if I can't fix it. They know that I fix computers and smartphones anyway. Once I ruined the family computer because I tried to downgrade it to Windows XP but luckily I was able to fix it but they did not get mad.

RikRipper

Reaction score
Yeah. You are right. These phones are not only getting more difficult to root but they are also becoming obsolete. This phone first came out in September 2012, but it's already 2014 and people are focusing more on recent devices. I should be getting a Moto X or something. But at least we are getting the KitKat update. Oh and I read online that you can downgrade it to older firmware without unlocking your phone's bootloader but you can only do this if you are flashing Motorola official firmware. I also read an article online about how to downgrade the Razr M to ICS. Just Google search how to downgrade Droid Razr M to ICS and you should get the article. If I do any of this and brick my phone I'd probably be screwed with my parents because they would have to buy me a new phone if I can't fix it. They know that I fix computers and smartphones anyway. Once I ruined the family computer because I tried to downgrade it to Windows XP but luckily I was able to fix it but they did not get mad.

[Tutorial] Unlock VZW Razr M/M HD (XT907/XT926) for U.S. Carriers *CDMA WS Method* - xda-developers <-- This link is the closest I've found for rooting my RAZR M. I followed the instructions and tried 3 times, all with seemingly no effect. I was on a time constraint so I was a little rushed to do it. I might try again when I have the time to make sure I do everything precisely. Unfortunately it's the Win 7 and Motorola combination that makes rooting nearly impossible. Maybe you'll have better luck.

OP
droideddie13

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
[Tutorial] Unlock VZW Razr M/M HD (XT907/XT926) for U.S. Carriers *CDMA WS Method* - xda-developers <-- This link is the closest I've found for rooting my RAZR M. I followed the instructions and tried 3 times, all with seemingly no effect. I was on a time constraint so I was a little rushed to do it. I might try again when I have the time to make sure I do everything precisely. Unfortunately it's the Win 7 and Motorola combination that makes rooting nearly impossible. Maybe you'll have better luck.

My theory on rooting the phone is downgrading it using Moto signed firmware then rooting it. I saw a few YouTube videos on downgrading the Razr not the Razr M and apparently they had locked bootloaders and were able to downgrade by just using rsd lite and the roms. Here are the instructions for downgrading: http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-...-M-back-to-stock-ICS-from-the-JB-leak_id35580 You don't necessarily have to downgrade to ICS you can also downgrade to older system versions if you want by following the guide in the link. So I am guessing in order to root you have to downgrade using one of the stock flash files available for download, then root, then use an app such as voodoo rootkeeper, update via ota, restore root, then you are done. Use this method at your own risk I am not responsible for any damage to your phone.

eagle132

Reaction score
There's been a reported root method on XDA for the Razr HD on 9.30.1 (98.18.94)! It uses an exploit made for Xperia phones and modified for the GS4- but apparently it works just fine for this generation of Razr phones a few users post. Try it at your own risk, but I know I will be this weekend!

I Got Root on 9.30.1 - xda-developers

OP
droideddie13

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
There's been a reported root method on XDA for the Razr HD on 9.30.1 (98.18.94)! It uses an exploit made for Xperia phones and modified for the GS4- but apparently it works just fine for this generation of Razr phones a few users post. Try it at your own risk, but I know I will be this weekend!

Does this work with the Razr M? You said Razr HD.

OP
droideddie13

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
Yes I said it works with the generation of Razr phones. If you go to that post people confirm it works with the M.

Thanks. I might try this and if I do I will let you know that I am doing this and also I will let you know if I had success. I am excited though but still kind of nervous.

dwmackay

Reaction score

Greetings,

I just followed these directions for my Droid Razr M and it worked just fine. I did have to install the Motorola drivers first, but follow the directions closely and you should be able to root.

My Specifics:
System Version: 98.18.94.XT109
Android Version 4.1.2
PC: Surface Pro running Windows 8.1

Good luck,

Doug M.

OP
droideddie13

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6

May you repost the link? When I click on it the link takes me to a random XDA fourm.

OP
droideddie13

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
I have officially confirmed that this exploit works on the Razr M. I have successfully rooted my phone for the first time ever. Use this exploit at your own risk.

ForumRunner_20140109_213033.png

ForumRunner_20140109_213045.png