DROID Razr Developed a Sudden PIA Trait

Ratdog68

Reaction score
My plan with Verizon has always had unlimited data. Life has been good. About a month (or so) ago, I got the notification that my phone wants to do an update. Ok, fine. And, I like the new display that came with it.

"The Problem" arose just about a week ago. Every friggin' time I activate my screen from sleeping, I have that PIA notice that "Mobile Data Disabled"... and that "you've reached the specified data usage limit. If you re-enable data, you may be charged by the operator." I'm given two options with this dialog box: "Re-enable data" and "ok".

I've rebooted the phone, I've done the reboot of the phone while also holding the volume down button to effectively do a "battery remove" reboot. I've gone into "Settings" and DEACTIVATED the "Set Mobile Data Limit" feature. The danged thing just won't "learn" and go away.

It appears that "background data" in the "Tethering and Mobile Hot Spot" is at 67.52 MB... total used currently shows 91.21MB.

About two weeks ago... while at home (Seattle) my 4G signal dropped into the tank and I was only getting .2MBPS of download speed (Yes, there IS a "." in front of that 2 !!) My upload speed was about 3.3 MBPS. I've had as much as 9MBPS download speed in the past. It later improved to around 2 MBPS download speed. I work in Alaska, and am currently at work (suffering through the "1x" speeds available to me here).

How do I get my phone back ?!?!?! This Borg thing I'm living with now is maddening.

BTW... I stopped in at Verizon while I was home, the nice folks in there tinkered with it for a spell, gave me a new card for my phone (hoping it was just a bad card). A few days after my visit there... is when the connection speed picked up a bit. But, for now, my main concern is getting this mystery setting squared away and dormant again. Anyone have any ideas ?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
As far as the speeds... rebooting will sometimes help, clear the cache, if all else fails, factory data resets fix most issues... bot what you want to hear, I know..

The issue with the data limit can be fixed in one of two ways... the most obvious one is to set a data limit, and set it at an extremely high level...

The second is, I set a data limit, say 5 gigs.. then when I get close to 5 gigs, I turn off the limit.. this worked for me last month... but setting the high limit is the more user friendly way..

Hope this helps :)

OP
R

Ratdog68

Reaction score
LOL I never even thought to set an extremely high limit (since I never set this limit... must've done it by default with the software upgrade). Worth a try, thanks. Looks like that was the trick. Went in and figured out how to manipulate it and set it through the roof... LOL Thanks again.

Yeah... don't really wanna do the BIG reboot ! LOL I'll see how it goes.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Glad I could help :) hope you don't have to do the fdr... :)

Clear the cache, power off, press and hold volume+/-, then press power, use volume down to select recovery. Press vol+ to confirm.

After the red m you'll see the android on its back with ! Above it. Press volume +/- at the same time again.. use the volume buttons to highlight wipe cache partition. Press power to confirm, then it will highlight reboot system... press power to confirm...

You could also download an app cache cleaner to further clean up you device... it might help.

OP
R

Ratdog68

Reaction score
Thanks for that... will do a little homework on that when I get back home to civilization. At present... I'm closer to zip code 99789 than I am 99734 (there's your google maps assignment for the night. LOL